a new multibit DAC chip Arda technologies AT1401

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hy,
I have written several letters to the company, but did not answer. I think this is the best multibit chips in the world right now. I urge everyone to write to the company. Write her DIY member and want to build this chip D / A converter, where you can buy and send a detailed data sheet. If the company receives many letters, maybe change the business policies, and are still selling these chips DIY members. If you have result, Write it here. (detailed data sheets, etc.).

I'm an engineer at a large vehicle oem, wrote them for info on this DAC (which could be used in one of our automated operations where quality digital to analog conversion is important) and I got no reply.

So I don't think they are shunning DIYers, I think they just don't have anything but a webpage?

I also wrote them (email) and, for whatever reason, got a written response (email) that Arda will provide samples of their AT1401 24-bit DAC to lead customers within the first half of this year. On that, we shall see. While there was no word on general availability through the usual distribution channels, I shouldn't expect to see that happen for at least another year, if then.

Last edited:
When I notified them of my interest some months ago now, I was graced with a quick reply also. At the time I was informed that they were hoping for a fall release of samples in 2011. Delays it seems are inevitable, which is fine, I just wonder what it will take until we can get hold of the chips without issues.

ARDA have been selling their other silicon via profusion, so they aren't just a web-page, they do exist and that is most likely where we will be able to get this chip from in the future. I do wonder what the price will be like though.

I just downloaded their preliminary datasheet and it puzzles me. Any of you DAC experts out there have an answer to this?

The architecture is R-2R ladder yet the output impedance is 400Mohm. I've never seen such a high output impedance from an R-2R part before. What are they doing differently?

The dynamic range figure of 125dB means they're achieving 13dB improvement over the PCM1704. Not to be sniffed at if it turns out to be real :)

mili Ohm maybe :)
Even my DC laboratory current sources didn't have that.
Let's see... +/- 15.5mA is 31mA swing at full scale. To obtain 400 MegOhm at FS would need a voltage of: 400 x 10e6 x 31 x 10e-3 =12400 x 10e3 Volts. 12.4MV. Something like a lighting bolt.
I think they are calculating something like 1 LSB swing...

No, their compliance voltage is +/-310mV (620mV) on maximum two 20 ohm (40 ohm) resistor... That's very good (on paper) and might give finally something to do brag about to the passive I/V fans :)

Last edited:
Current source with milli-ohm Zout? :D

Highest output impedance of any DAC I've seen to date is from ADI, AD9704 at 200Mohms. That doesn't use R-2R but segmented current sources.

Attachments

• ADIzout.png
    ADIzout.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 499
Actually there are details on dynamic performance in the realm of communications. I posted up a link about a week ago on another thread (Sound quality vs measurements) to an article by a guy from ADI. In essence you need to test with a higher crest factor signal than a pure sinewave - multitone for example.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.