A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Zen Mod I needed information, to weaken the amplifier (I need only 7-8W) what should I change compared to the original scheme?
- remove two pair of output device?
-descrease the power supply voltage?
-change the value of bias setting?
-change the value of some component?
Precise that I currently have an E88CC SRPP Preamp with a gain of about 28-29dB and a pair of heatsinks of the dimensions of 35x125x250 mm.
Thank you in advance

Hello sergiog
(sorry my autocorrection put it wrong)
I just read this post of yours. Having the same issue, I wanted to ask if you followed this path and did build a "2/3F4"?
How di it work?
How did you do it?

thank you!
david

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
BUILD!

Ahh same trap again!
I should come to terms with f4‘d concept and just build one. [emoji4]

Everything but the chassis is here. (probably 1 or 2 parts glitches and Salas' B1 waiting for me)
At the moment, I'm trying to work out (like, calculate :confused:) the heat-sink-requirements. Looking for power-dissipation per transistor etc etc...

6L6, I read that you use cardas quad eutectic. Do you use their Rosin Flux Paste too? Because I do, and it's quite messy...

I like the Cardas Quad. I have not used their flux.

Heatsink requirement is easy - 4U deluxe chassis. :D

I've used their flux and while nice I don't think its needed for most applications. On top of that its a pain to clean the excess which can be a lot even when using a small dab. Been using the Cardas solder though for a few years and its great. I use it and along with kester solder

Hello sergiog
(sorry my autocorrection put it wrong)
I just read this post of yours. Having the same issue, I wanted to ask if you followed this path and did build a "2/3F4"?
How di it work?
How did you do it?

thank you!
david

For this idea, why not a Mofo build with lower voltage? (I don't know what low power Mofo sounds or measures btw, just the first thing to jump in to my head.)

To get 7-8w max out of my F4, I adjusted B+, the primary (5k to 2.5k) and secondary connection (4k to 16k) of my 2a3 SE amp and drove it with that.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
For this idea, why not a Mofo build with lower voltage? (I don't know what low power Mofo sounds or measures btw, just the first thing to jump in to my head.)

To get 7-8w max out of my F4, I adjusted B+, the primary (5k to 2.5k) and secondary connection (4k to 16k) of my 2a3 SE amp and drove it with that.

jervill
Nothing. Nothing speaks against building a Mofo. Quite the opposite. But only _after_ F4 :)

:)

Joined 2017
Paid Member

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    871.9 KB · Views: 449