A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

Thanks!
It's the summer to get caught up on Brazilian Lounge Music. Should be alright, even with inefficient speakers.
First thought my phono stage had too much gain, now with a DAC with 2V into the preamp stage I'm getting more than needed compared to MacBook source of the last few years.

Can't help but wonder if there was a selector switch instead of building a headphone amp

count on , say, 1V3 of voltage drop .... or something like that

dissipation is indeed VI , in case of dual mono PSU you'll have one Iq for I , but in case of shared PSU between channels , that's 2x Iq

so , for latter - 1V3x (say) 2x 1A6=4.16W

and I know for sure that they tend to go Dodo , in shared PSU , inside of an A class amp case , when dangling on the base plate

Thank you Zen, Chede for the heads up. I will prepare heat sinking or paralel the rectifiers or both ... or even new ones, can't know yet.

The thing is that the rectifiers i bought from Mouser seem money wasted since their case is not appropriate for mounting on heat sink (is just a plain mounting case) because is not slightly polished or prepared for this.

Also if they are rated for 50A ... even with heat-sink at the 500V rating voltage how would they last more than a second? Whatever dodo means; it happens.

By the way, I am unfamiliar with the "dodo" term. Does it mean that they heat/blow up?

In the mean time I will power a 2500W heat blower trough one to evaluate the amount of heat generated and maybe see if sinking is keeping them alive. Otherwise i will have to get heat sink ready ones like these

Dodo Bird - googllleee

read more carefully - dissipation in rectifier is voltage drop multiplied with RMS current

voltage rating is "just" voltage for which they're built

and - even if back side is not smooth - what's preventing you of some sanding ?

sanding i can easily do .... but if the case/rectifier is not prepared for heat dissipation; then for sure diodes are not "grown" on the dissipating plate and just thrown in there just fixed with resin(s) and resins do not play well with heat dissipation.

I think I did not made any confusion (is not midnight anymore in my brain :) ):

I figured that the 230V is well within in its rating so if powering a 2500W radiator will get about 11A of current trough it.

And at this point the heat dissipation will be about the same as in the amplifier (disregarding the 10 times lower voltage :D that maters not in this context anyway).

care to p[ost link to or picture of that suspicious rectifier bridge?

in any case , if they not intended for heatsinking , they aren't for this purpose

No problems: picture on my supply is in post #1355

Got ones that i saw people using, with a bit more current rating because in diy one has an irresistible urge .. or tendency to grossly oversize .... ALWAYS :)

Still sounds fishie to me :D.

Thermal compound is good under 0.01 gaps at best; that one has the surface tolerance and grit ten times deeper not to count that the diodes sit in thermal insulator goo .

My chase is painted steel so as good of a heatsink as is my mother a sniper:D
Rank Metal Thermal Conductivity [BTU/(hr·ft⋅°F)] 1 Copper 223 2 Aluminum 118 3 Brass 64 4 Steel 17 5 Bronze 15

But i'll go carefully as suggested and can't go wrong where you guys did not.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Actually, the heat transfer with the bridges just bolted to the heatsink or to the perforated inner chassis mounting plate that you can get as an accessory for the Modushop cases is strong enough to keep them healthy. The „peaks“ of the underside of the bridge do provide enough contact area for 4.5 V RMS bias that my souped-up Aleph J is pulling. Not even need for heatsinking compound.

The tip from Zen Mod for using a split washer/ Belleville washer or similar is absolutely essential, though.
Otherwise, with the bolt just tightened on a regular washer, the expansion and contraction of thermal cycling as the amp warms up and cools down will work the bolt loose over time, and you lose the heat transfer ability ... :p

Regards, Claas

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
see, I'm clever

Attachments

• Baldrick.jpg
    Baldrick.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 316
Thanks.

Thanks everyone. Stereo sounds the best it ever has. Dual F4s with paralleled inputs doing vertical biamping on Coincident PREs. A little bitter sweet packing up the 300b amps for their new owner yesterday, but the F4s do a number of things better than they did on these speakers. Maybe I've lost a little touch of front to back soundstage depth. I think that's about it really. Gained clarity, extension, and control.

Packed up the dining room work bench since I'm done building... of course I'm already thinking about doing a SissySIT.

Thanks for all the support. It was fun to build and learn.

Attachments

• 20190630_164411.jpg
    20190630_164411.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 259