A DIY piece of furniture for your DIY HIFI stuff?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Da5id4Vz said:

You dug out your basement 2 feet!!!! Did you DIY that too and pore the concrete. Please tell me you used a contractor, other wise I might cry.

I'd rather stay at home if I don't have to have a job, so I decided to dug the basement myself. A brother in law was giving a hand. We shovelled it out through the windows and I poured concrete myself as well (in 4' segments). Took us 2 months to do it. I was lucky that the main drain was quite steep, so all the plumbing could still be under the concrete floor. I thought that digging it out would be hard part, but actual finishing took me much longer;)

Cherry, of course...

Sounds like a great deal.

I sent a copy of the picture to my wife. Our soon to move in new house has some very old pine paneling on two walls with a patina that’s nice but will be next to impossible to match.

Is the closet for more electronics or just household storage?

Bricolo said:
and what's behind?

Behind is a workshop and behind is another workshop (one for machinning, one for electronics) So whenever I built something I can easily check out.

Here's some production photo, taken 4 years ago (I'm on left). Looks like deciding on plumbing choices, gave us a chance to rest for a while;)

Attachments

• b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 536
Peter Daniel said:

Behind is a workshop and behind is another workshop (one for machinning, one for electronics) So whenever I built something I can easily check out.

Here's some production photo, taken 4 years ago (I'm on left). Looks like deciding on plumbing choices, let us rest for a while;)

Behind this "furniture" are 2 workshops?

Excuse my poor english, but...
What was there before? A small room? Then you put the wall off, and put another one further? Between the old and new wall are now this furniture and 2 workshops. Am I right?

Bricolo said:

Behind this "furniture" are 2 workshops?

Excuse my poor english, but...
What was there before? A small room? Then you put the wall off, and put another one further? Between the old and new wall are now this furniture and 2 workshops. Am I right?

There was a big room, that I devided for a reason of mounting speakers in a wall and creating additional working space.

Peter Daniel said:

There was a big room, that I devided for a reason of mounting speakers in a wall and creating additional working space.

OK, I misunderstood. I thought you had changed some walls.
You had a big room in the basement, so you had to dig in order to make a clean floor, and then you built this furniture

a-we-some work!

What about something like this:

http://www.soundstyle.net/st105_page.html

How do you find this rack? I like it :)

We could easilly work on it as a starting point, and make a modular design with it. (see my attached picture)
Just use one plate per stand, smaller feets, and that's it :nod:

You can superpose them, and the big advantage is that the feet aren't posed on the plate, so you can isolate the plate with damping material, and it won't be perturbated by the feet.

You can also place them side to side, and you'll get a long table. The second good point is that the plate it at the same heigth as the feet, so with 2 modules side to side, you'll end up with a long, plate, table, with no irregularities in the heigth

If you know other commercial racks, or nice diy ones, please show them. It's always good to have some inspiration :)

Alex

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 471
I was googling for racks yesterday because of this thread, and I must say the Germans really like racks :)

audio-mobel.de has a lot of different racks. Maybe you could find a source of inspiration there?

I must say I really like this one:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't know if it's modular enough for you. Maybe you could place the two (one with larger base and one with smaller base) on top of each other, and even stack many that way, though I believe that would be rather ugly... ;)

Do we have a list of requirements? Perhaps a list of wishes? What materials are most preferable?

Oscar said:
I was googling for racks yesterday because of this thread, and I must say the Germans really like racks :)

audio-mobel.de has a lot of different racks. Maybe you could find a source of inspiration there?

I must say I really like this one:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I don't know if it's modular enough for you. Maybe you could place the two (one with larger base and one with smaller base) on top of each other, and even stack many that way, though I believe that would be rather ugly... ;)

Do we have a list of requirements? Perhaps a list of wishes? What materials are most preferable?

This one looks strange, difinitely not what I'm looking for ;)
For sure, it's original!

A list of requirements?
-modular (one module per hifi element)
-2 (or more) modules can be superposed or placed side to side
-by placing them side to side, they must result in a big flat table, without holes. Not like the fraim (naim)
-not made from one block. At least 2 (feets and plate), this way the plate can be decoupled with damping material

-good looking
-cheap to build

the vertical superposition needs to design some "locking" on the feets, to keep 2 modules from moving if something hit them

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.