A Bookshelf Multi-Way Point-Source Horn

Regarding the bookshelf speaker, I've got four 35mm drivers, and I want to use them as laptop subwoofers.
The constraint is 3w amp usb powered @5v and to fit under my laptop as a stand.
My modelling skills are basic at best but Ive come to realise I can draw and make straight lines and then print them.

I'm figuring I need about a 2m path length and rough rule of thumb is 1/4 cone area for throat and approx 4x for the mouth of the horn.

Am I about right?

Horns are screwed and glued, now curing. A lot of glue was used... no special tools were available. Errors on sides were pretty big at some point (2-3mm)..
The horns are made of 12mm MDF.
Octagonal back chamber for the 12PE32 to be built next.

Attachments

• DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 1,041
Horns are screwed and glued, now curing. A lot of glue was used... no special tools were available. Errors on sides were pretty big at some point (2-3mm)..
The horns are made of 12mm MDF.
Octagonal back chamber for the 12PE32 to be built next.

For errors in the wood, this glue do fit well, it swells when curing filling the gaps, it is THE glue for speaker houses.

5. Polyurethane glue

Polyurethane glue is activated by moisture, and swells as it is activated and dries. It dries very hard and quickly, and is waterproof, but dealing with dried polyurethane glue can be problematic for finishes.

In terms of choosing a glue for your project, all of the above options will provide a bond that is strong enough for most purposes, especially for furniture projects. The things to consider when making a choice between glues is whether you need the glue to be waterproof, how long you have to work with the glue before it starts to set up, and whether you need to fill a gap.

As I mentioned above, I’ll use liquid hide glue for just about all woodworking projects. It’s a bit harder to find than PVA glue, but it can be ordered over the internet fairly easily, and the fact that I don’t have to worry about small bits of dried hide glue interfering with finishes gives liquid hide glue an advantage that no other glue can touch. If I’m out of liquid hide glue, and need glue quickly, I’ll get a bottle of PVA glue at the local home center. If I need a waterproof glue joint, I’ll use either epoxy or a waterproof PVA glue.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Regarding the bookshelf speaker, I've got four 35mm drivers, and I want to use them as laptop subwoofers.
The constraint is 3w amp usb powered @5v and to fit under my laptop as a stand.
My modelling skills are basic at best but Ive come to realise I can draw and make straight lines and then print them.

I'm figuring I need about a 2m path length and rough rule of thumb is 1/4 cone area for throat and approx 4x for the mouth of the horn.

Am I about right?

Sounds like you are looking for a TL or BLH type speaker rather than a front loaded horn or synergy. All I can suggest is that you download a copy of HornResp and play with it. If you can make CAD drawings, you can put those dimensions into HR and see what the sim says. Without the simulation, the guesswork is too great and you may end up with a dud more likely than a home run.

Might want to start your own new thread where people can help you in the process.

Sounds like you are looking for a TL or BLH type speaker rather than a front loaded horn or synergy. All I can suggest is that you download a copy of HornResp and play with it. If you can make CAD drawings, you can put those dimensions into HR and see what the sim says. Without the simulation, the guesswork is too great and you may end up with a dud more likely than a home run.

Might want to start your own new thread where people can help you in the process.

I've got hr but no specs on the driver. So kinda hard to sim up a cab.
Might just have to wing it and hope for the best.

Cheers Xrk! :)
Question: vertical distance between center of sealed subwoofer and center of horn mouth should be also 1/4 xo wavelength?

Since xrk hasn't answered yet -- the distance should be 1/4 wavelength MAXIMUM, and preferably less, if the goal is to prevent lobing.

Though at low enough frequencies, you could be in the range of room modes, so I'm not sure that lobing is even measurable (if there's no place to put the microphone that it won't pick up boundary reflections within the time of even a single cycle of the frequencies covered).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi,
Sorry but I haven't been in this forum as often lately as I was working on headphone amps. Here's my latest baby. Class A single ended using four pairs of tiny BF862 tiny SMT JFETs. Sounds fantastic. :)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...f862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat.html

My first real amp using my own hand etched PCBs too.

586400d1482011463-bf862-based-se-class-headamp-without-heat-bf862-ha-build-final-dt880-12.jpg

Ok enough proud parent pictures. :D

Sub woofer integration and horn mouth should ideallly be 1/3rd or 1/4th wavelength. However, many (most) people don't have the ears to hear the error here if you are off and can only do 1/2 or more. So if your horn goes to 120Hz to XO to sub, Horn mouth and sub can be 1 meter apart and no one will know the difference. And if you had to stretch it to 1.25 or 1.5m you may get away with it as well. Just need to account for time of flight delay in DSP.

Last edited:
Hello and Happy new year! :)

I have the 12pe32-3fe25 synergys working. The mouth is 90/60cm, 70cm deep.
I hope it is ok to post here some questions, if not i will create a separate thread.

I like them very much, the soundstage they produce is very good, good dynamics. Only thing to complain is that the highs of 3fe25 are not as natural as a dome tweeter. At the moment i will let them like this. No supertweeter soon.

Last evening i did some measurements but, as the speakers are heavy and could not move them alone, i placed the mic exactly in mouth center. I have doubts that this is the best way to measure them, in order to apply some EQ then.

So, for those who measured before big horns in room, I wonder:
-is it better to measure nearfield (say 50cm from horn mouth) or is better to measure at listening position?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 15785689_1275103855885752_219040892_o.jpg
    15785689_1275103855885752_219040892_o.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 814
  • 15820541_1275104062552398_1014692098_o.jpg
    15820541_1275104062552398_1014692098_o.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 814
Here's an interesting design using that same XT1464 horn: https://soundforums.net/forum/low-earth-orbit/diy-audio/12390-60-degree-diy-mid-hi

I do admit, no pocket size here! With two 12" mids it is a PA top.
Measurements corrected with REW and Rephase filtering seem awfully nice. Probably very loud and clear :eek:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/221434-rephase-loudspeaker-phase-linearization-eq-fir-filtering-tool-142.html#post4936789

No polars, but those would probably line up with the XT horn's ability to guide it all. A nice MTM top (with a coax CD). Could work inspirational for a more domestic version.
Measurements were taken in a (very) large room, we are basically looking at the speaker here. Fun though!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello and Happy new year! :)

I have the 12pe32-3fe25 synergys working. The mouth is 90/60cm, 70cm deep.
I hope it is ok to post here some questions, if not i will create a separate thread.

I like them very much, the soundstage they produce is very good, good dynamics. Only thing to complain is that the highs of 3fe25 are not as natural as a dome tweeter. At the moment i will let them like this. No supertweeter soon.

Last evening i did some measurements but, as the speakers are heavy and could not move them alone, i placed the mic exactly in mouth center. I have doubts that this is the best way to measure them, in order to apply some EQ then.

So, for those who measured before big horns in room, I wonder:
-is it better to measure nearfield (say 50cm from horn mouth) or is better to measure at listening position?

Thank you!

Great work there Arcgotic! I would measure at 0.5m from mouth to allow sound to integrate and reduce room bounce effects if you don't have big room. Use frequency dependent window (FDW) in REW set to about 6 cycles. This will limit what you see to stiff actually coming from horn itself.

Thanks xrk and Bushmeister for a fantastic thread. This synergy bug is spreading!
I just came across this interesting driver, the 2” EAD E60 MKII. http://www.eadsweden.com/drive-units/ead-e60-1. More expensive than the SB65 but with an inverted surround it may be easier to integrate to f.ex. the XT1464. Xrk, is it possible to have a simulation of this driver in the XT1464 waveguide? Also with the same woofers as in Bushmeisters design?
Thanx/Dag

Attachments

• E60_MKII.JPG
    E60_MKII.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 327
Hi all,

Needed some new Panasonic FC capasitors for a CFB power amp project because in December xrk971 got all my best Nichison FG ones, never mind :) he even also kindly gave me a nice pair of FF85WK, and when ordered at RS Components revealed they had Tectronics BMR in stock so couldn't resist try a pair.

Yesterday did a subjective listening test half an hour for each TEBM46C20N-4B/SB65WBAC25-4/FF85WK/TC9FD18-08/10F8424G00 when they lay on a table listening for smoothness and off axis coverage, which for me leads to best but still different is TEBM46/TC9/10F, but bear in mind the personal undocumented procedure in this step.

For future test paring full ranger to a cheap 2 inch PH-4528 horn makes me think to have best HF integration size of TEBM46C20N-4B/SB65WBAC25 is the better ones to get some success. Will in a week or two share real data how these two compete each other, preliminary i tip to TEBM46 side because BMR is supposed to have better power response the higher the frequency meaning less EQ boost in HF where some amplifiers and DAC begin show there HD, and also because in all links below for SB65 it seems clear to have a third harmonics distortion profile, but lets see later how TEBM46 perform. TEBM46 rubber surround diameter is same as SB65 so they may very well be used to replace each other.

As seen in picture yesterday evening did hang TEBM onto horn with gaffa tape and foam sealing and listening to it actual made me stay up til next morning, it was new and positive subjective experience.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-multi-way-point-source-horn-post4593778.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-multi-way-point-source-horn-post4605542.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-multi-way-point-source-horn-post4615797.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-multi-way-point-source-horn-post4619158.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-multi-way-point-source-horn-post4622371.html
Test Bench - SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 2.5? full-range driver

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    471.7 KB · Views: 304
Last edited: