a big toy to play with....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a cheap way to try diffusion is to get 12" sonotube (cardboard columns that they fill to make concrete pillars). Last I checked they should be at Home Depot or Menards 4' for $5. Place them about 1' apart either on the sides of the room and/or back. I used 4 on a side brick wall, they worked wonderfully. A column works well at twice the diameter (12" circle hauls at 2.2khz and up) and tapers down to somewhat at 1/2 the diameter (550hz). And I think they link when used in multiples.

Check this out.
http://www.allchurchsound.com/education/edart/sono1.html

I keep my system (750hz 2 way) in my avatar because it has slam/punch/bass (not subwoofer shake room, not at low levels). To me, the bass sounds off when crossing over maybe 100-200hz, maybe more. The whole phase shift/rotation messes up with the bass sound. But I may add a sub in the future (built in 80hz defeat able crossover in active crossover).

Norman

Last edited:
a cheap way to try diffusion is to get 12" sonotube (cardboard columns that they fill to make concrete pillars). Last I checked they should be at Home Depot or Menards 4' for $5. Place them about 1' apart either on the sides of the room and/or back. I used 4 on a side brick wall, they worked wonderfully. A column works well at twice the diameter (12" circle hauls at 2.2khz and up) and tapers down to somewhat at 1/2 the diameter (550hz). And I think they link when used in multiples.

Check this out.
ACS Articles - The Sono Tube Fix!

I keep my system (750hz 2 way) in my avatar because it has slam/punch/bass (not subwoofer shake room, not at low levels). To me, the bass sounds off when crossing over maybe 100-200hz, maybe more. The whole phase shift/rotation messes up with the bass sound. But I may add a sub in the future (built in 80hz defeat able crossover in active crossover).

Norman

they might be useful diffusers, but look quit ugly in my view..... i would never use them in my room.....:down:

I am listening now for over one month with the added Altec 416a's in Onken W style cabs together with the Vitavox AK157 bass horn. Crossover frequency is 150hz, where the lower midrange horn takes over. I do not want to miss them anymore in my system. They add so much in the bass spectrum, its a hudge improvement. Bass flows wonderful , i love it.......

Beside this, i use almost only my pc to listen music now. I made direct comparisons between cd, and computer files through the Burson Audio HA160D, and i was unable to detect any difference.

my LM power supply arrived today :))

Its remarably big and heavy. With the 555 on side, you have a idea about its size.....

in a week or so, i will have the flanges for the 38" horn ready, and then i will try the LM555 , and substitute the Fane Studio 8M. I will cross it passive at 300hz, and 1,2khz, where the Beyma TPL-150 will take over.

Attachments

• 20130208_175249.jpg
    20130208_175249.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Today i listened first time with the Classé Audio DR3b power amp:

Classé Audio - Audio Voice Acoustics

hooked on my big system, replacing a Hiraga LeMonstre 8 Watt amp, which was clipping and distorting at higher volume. Before the Hiraga i was listening with a Viva Solista SET 845 tube amp. I became dissatisfied with the Viva over time, specially treble was dull, when compared to other amps, like the Hiraga.
Well, i am posting this , because tonight that might have been the best listening experience i had so far at my home. The Classé is a eye opener. What a amp !!
Sound is now extremely powerful and dynamic, treble is wonderfully present and sweet, no harshness at all. This amp does not sound like solid state, but like tube, but with much more control and power.

Soon my LM555's will be introduced in my lower midrange channel as well. Will see what these are capable of.....:)

Try DR3 700 hz down triode 700 up with electronic crossover for something different

I think the weakest part of my system now is lower midrange. Not that it sounds bad, but i think there i have most oportunity of improvement. Max. in a couple of weeks, i will be able to try out LineMagnetic 555 driver with Tungar supply. It will replace Fane Studio 8m, and cover from 300hz, to 1,2khz.
See what will happen.

Had to replace the 845 tubes of my Viva. They arrived yesterday. A quick comparison showed quit nicely the difference to the DR3b. As expected, the Viva has much less treble output, the vividness and clarity of presentation goes lost.... i will try to sell the Viva now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.