A better fan design - the search continues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lisandro_P said:
I just asked a price quote for a 100 or 150mm cut of the ZD-33 profile from this manufacturer. (model seen here). It's quoted at 0,95ºC/W for 75mm with natural convection, so it should stay pretty cool with a fan blowing through it.

I used same profile, but litle bit bigger (gives .7K/W with 20cm long). I ordered one 43cm long piece, and I mounted vertically in the box, from side to side, at the middle of the box. The fan mounted at the centre of the heatsink, and the air goes out on the two sides of the box. With the speed regulated fan, it almost noiseless, and coolling few mosfets which are disspate about 300W.
This configuration separates the electronics from the transformers. The transformers mounted between the front, and the heatsink, the electronics mounted between the rear, and the heatsink.

sajti

The man who runs silenX.com has been known to go by several aliases on one particular computer silencing message board (silentPCreview.com) and he would use these aliases to make it look like his products were getting lots of rave reviews from several people. His fans are not 14dBa silent. He originally worked for Ahanix, which still sells some products undr the SilenX name, and their fans are actually quieter than the SilenX.com fans, but harder to find. You might be interested in the ultra-low-speed 80mm Papst fans, which use an improved sleeve bearing and make only 12dBa of noise.

I simply hooked mine (a fan got from an old atx powersupply and cleaned up) with a 10 ohm resistor in series; 2 x 22ohms, 2w will do just fine. Since it will be fed by the power-on board, with a separate 12v supply, i found this drops the voltage on the fan to about 9v. When the psu is loaded heavily and drops to 10-9v, the fan drops to 8v. Works flawlessly and the fan stays awfully quiet.

Finally, my order arrived... a 20cm cut of that same profile. Final price? AR$55, about US$18. You might weep if you want to ;)

Attachments

• sink_1.jpg
    sink_1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 277
Jason L and Alexandro, the hermano (brother), i also like Jason design...but...

I did that once... and there are hot point were the fans are not directly blowing pressurized air....if transistors were assembled over those points... the heat transfer speed are diminished there.

Have only to put transistor directly over the fan.... some delay in heat exaust, when under dimensioned heat sinks are used (this case, with fan, i suppose beeing used to under sized heat sinks).

Despite of that, design is beautifull, i will use it, with your license of course, but, i will put all transistors directly under air flow.

regards people....good to see that passion.... this is wonderfull.

Saludos hermano, no problem related the Military exercises between your Marine and my Marine... we all know those things happens... we decided to make those exercises more constant, as our both marines need that trainment, as we and you are making some mistakes.... Peace brother....good brothers we are, and we will go ahead and closer and more closer.

Related Malvinas...next time we will be there...in the middle of the way to say no!

Hehe, do not talk people...hehe... we have atomic bomb too!...hehe...people will respect that... but i am sure all them without the ignition.

regards,

Carlos

Ok, this is pretty much my final design, which i'm building right now. I think it's the best compromise between ease of construction, manteinance, noise and performance. The "tubing" will be made of tin and one of the amp internal sides, with a removable top for cleaning.

Attachments

• tubesink_v3.gif
    tubesink_v3.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 187
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.