A BA-1 FE as preamplfier build thread

I just bought a pcb from diyaudiostore and found out the problem of finding 2SJ109. Is there any replacement I can use? I'm making a BA-1 as a pre only.

A 2sj109 is almost impossible to find these days. You can buy 2 matched 2sj74 and use them. A 2sj109 is more or less made of 2 2sj74 in the same chip. There is information on the forums where to buy them from trusted sources and how to install them on the boards.

the j174 is a Pchannel jFET.

Try the search engines in digi/mouse/rapid for P jFETs and see which ones are in stock with similar parameters.

Is this really the best advice you can give? :rolleyes:

I think 2sj74 is not easy to find too

diyaudio store has the lsj parts but not matched.
You can buy them matched at fetaudio and also on ebay. there is a recomended seller which has genuine parts.

As I said, searching around the forums will give you alot of answers.

And as many have stated before me, the 2sk170 and 2sj74, were some of the lowest noise transistors available and while there are currently available parts with similar specs they are a compromise in one way or another.

BL grade.

More important that that, is to find 2SK170BL and use ones with about 8ma Idss for the CCS (Q202).

That will properly set the operating point of the differential pair.
I have few 20pcs 2sk170bl with me. I measured it using Nelson method. Simple one with a resistor. I got few matches very closely. Not sure I'm measured it in right way or not. Measuring the voltage across a resistor.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's a perfectly good way to measure.

You can also use 9v battery and multimeter set to mA, it's very easy -

transistor_matching_jfet_idss.png