A 60" Ribbon w/TL Loaded Extremis Hybrid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It might be as simple as replacing the 99 cent "freebie" patch cables I'm currently using.

And so it came to pass :) I'll have to play a lot more music to confirm that the issue is completely resolved, but after spinning the first disc after replacing the stinky cables I can say that the problem is at least diminished to the point where I have to try to hear it. I'm not going to open up the never ending "cable" debate here, but I think everybody can agree that a quality cable should sound better than a defective one ;) . When I lashed together this system for the first time some months back I used whatever I could find in the junk drawer telling myself it was only temporary and not really giving them a close look. As it turns out, the patch that I used for the connection to the ribbon amp was not only the lowest possible quality, but also old as dirt. I imagine that if I were to skin it back I would find that the copper was discolored from oxidation. Anyway I made some nice interconnects with Canari (spl?) mic cable today and replaced them...oofta :D . Not only has the peaking seemed to have gone away, but a whole new layer of detail has surfaced.

I think it's time to stop typing, and spin some music.

Casey

Hi Mark,

I wish you the fruits of your labour x 10!

Your wish has been granted...thank you :) .

I really deserve a swift kick in the grapes for so severely handicapping my babies for so long with those "things" I was using for patch cords. It's official, that was my problem. Just damn...how could I have been so stupid...I knew better.

Back to the tunes...

Casey

One last word on my cable issue. This morning I decided to investigate a little further and measured the capacitance of the uglies I pulled...430pf. I then pulled off some of the jacket and discovered it had about 70% shielding, which though not as oxidized as I thought it would be, was an amber color.

Casey

However, what criteria did you use for the lengh.

It was a practical consideration. The steel is available in 12 foot lengths. After factoring in the steel needed for the stands, 5 feet seemed a nice round figure.

Do you think using pure cast iron for the frame would have made any major difference in the field.

Not really. Steel is much easier to source, and work with, as well.

Casey

I am now on my third time through this complete thread.

I am reminded of the re-watching of the first three Star Wars movies in preparation for the release of the next three (a full generation later).

The first time, it ended with a motor frame and no ribbons or magnets yet--just a lot of awesome shiny and heavy. The second time, it ended with complete ribbons and temporary baffles. Now, we are at the stage where the woofers and crossovers are in place.

This thread is the coolest use of metal, electricity and magnetism I have ever seen - DIY or otherwise.

You put more brains, talent and effort into those initial frames than I did into my entire college career.

More milling! More Corian! More Sorbothane!

You said earlier:
"The reality is if it never got one scintilla better than it is right now, I would be very happy for a long time."

I wouldn't blame you at all if you just decided to sit and listen to them and not make any more changes. But I am going to be selfish here.

I need the next episode.

I can't just walk away wondering if Roger Waters never returned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.