A 2-way tower with Vifa woofer and Fostex FE103E...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, you want to start your experiments with tap 2.

dave

Attachments

• Chops-XO-1st-pass.gif
    Chops-XO-1st-pass.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 244
It's better to know what you are doing ;)
These are links which explain, how to measure an inductance :
How to Measure Inductance
Untitled

A sound generator is your PC. You can use the Winisd generator ;) or this one (Better)
You need a mini jack to connect the circuit to PC. I like the resonant method, simple and easy, use a RL//C circuit as written. R is to protect the output amplifier.

Last edited:
As I'm sitting here doing some XO research and sipping my coffee, I'm just wondering where this crossover design of Dave's is putting my drivers at.

The iron-core inductor that Dave asked me to use is I believe 18awg and reads 0.47 ohms. Now I don't think that's the same as DCR, but if you go by that reading "as" the DCR, the inductor should be in the neighborhood of 5.5mH.

Does any of this make sense or am I way out in left field? LOL

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The iron-core inductor that Dave asked me to use is I believe 18awg and reads 0.47 ohms. Now I don't think that's the same as DCR, but if you go by that reading "as" the DCR, the inductor should be in the neighborhood of 5.5mH.

Awfully hard to guess the inductance from the wire guage & the DCR. Using that you could get an estimate of length (say +/- 20%), then you have to wrap it on the former, estimate the number of turns, layers, length, characteristics of the core.

To know the exact inductance you need to measure.

If it is 5-6 mH then your XO will be in the neighborhood of 300Hz. Exact depends on the actual impedance of the drivers.

One of the beauties of a series XO is that it is self-adjusting. You might need to tweak values to get the area of the XO right but one driver is always handing over to the next driver at the "right" place.

Just put it togther and start listening and start playing. Make sure you have all your alligator clips in place.

dave

Alligator clips? Nah, I had to do it the hazardous way of just twisting the wires together. It's only temporary until I get the right components to do things right.

As for the sound, it's not half bad. At first it seemed pretty bad with just one channel running (just to see if it even worked). After confirming that it was properly wired, I wired up the second one and hooked it up. I've been running them for about the past two hours now and they've seemed to open up some and "thicken up" if you will. There seems to be a little bit of a gap between the Vifa and Fostex but I think that might just be because the 3 ohm resistor I'm using on the Fostex isn't enough. Those little FE103E's are a bit louder than the Vifa's. In order to compensate I have boosted the bass up a little which seems to have helped. They still tend to sound like they have a little too much treble at times though.

I just need to get an idea on the proper components to get to get these guys really singing. Of course, building quality enclosures later down the road is a must but these will do for now.

I have these connected to my little secondary system right now. Anyway, here's a few pics.

p639426688-4.jpg

p918222895-4.jpg

p608322188-4.jpg

p1047029127-4.jpg

p761560540-4.jpg

p980692365-4.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.