• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Just to confirm, this is the labeling you are going by?

lm317t-pinout-1024x633.jpg

R1=240R, R2=1k Vout=~6.5V P(ic)=3.5W based on powering one 6V6 heater from a 13.6VDC supply. Heatsink should be large enough or internal protection circuitry will prevent the LM317 from working properly... I would burn voltage in an RC filter before the LM317.

2R and 3R3 in series is way too small in value.
1673630260240.png

R1=240R, R2=1k Vout=~6.5V P(ic)=3.5W based on powering one 6V6 heater from a 13.6VDC supply. Heatsink should be large enough or internal protection circuitry will prevent the LM317 from working properly... I would burn voltage in an RC filter before the LM317.

2R and 3R3 in series is way too small in value.
View attachment 1129763
He's using it as a current regulator, not a voltage source.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's mine original dual heater CCS. Been working for ages. You can see dual big bridge and 22.000uF raw DC sources fed from two separate AC windings. Going to the LM317s with 0.1uF MKT & 10uF Tantalum decoupling. Three resistors to tune Rset value.

I_Heat & Mosfet Cap Mult B+.jpg

Next to it my version of Mosfet M-Cap Filter for B+ after Maida died. CCS heat PSU outlived Maida which became erratic, but after many good working years, due to Mosfet, 317, and Vout set Rdivider, all at relatively high dissipation. The filter PSU ended up with its output cap also lytic. MKP output was bit stressing HF with its very low ESR. Couldn't fit an SSHV2 in there which is superior to both. There wasn't provision since the 6V6 build preceded its invention.

IMG-Mult PSU final.jpg