• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Good afternoon.
Sorry, if i am offtopic, but, I suppose, it should be interested.
I've built stereo preamplifier using 6AS6 (unfortunately, not 6V6, but it is really likely) or 6Ж1П / 6Ж2П - Russian analogue. Circuit is really similar.
And - specially pleasureful - works with low voltage (+15V DC)
Sounds very well.
_DSC4698.JPG

This is circuit. May be converted to be used with anothe tubes.
6Z1P.GIF

Article about building in my blog, and a few more pictures of variation inside mount

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes.

By the way, Collins used them an a high-end portable shortwave receiver R392/URR with +27V B+

Dropping the 6V6 in the same NovaPA's circuit it would take 10K anode load to centre and it would be good for up to 1V RMS input signal with 5x gain and rather gross THD as in the attached picture. With the 6AK5 and 1K anode load it should be making much lower gain I guess. Also better THD I hope.

Attachments

• 2016-02-16_115856.png
    2016-02-16_115856.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 377
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I can see two purposeful occasions. One of a marketing trick like they do with some $50 Chinese headphone amps on eBay so to stick some glowing bottles on them for "wow factor" while relying on op-amp output and buffering the line input with the tube. The other rather more serious way is to starve some specific tubes that show low noise in that way so to parallel some, feed them with a depletion mode anode CCS and use them as MC input stage.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
With very low input signal like in instrumentation occasions and turntable cartridges maybe there is a meaningful niche of application. When used in so low power i.e. cold anode, some noises get better but it takes the less grid leaky high gm types to use. Mainly picked out novals. Must be stable without grid stoppers also else it defies the low noise purpose.