• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Beauty in essence

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 281
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Dutch Philips was Miniwatt 6V6 one of the loveliest I had tried. Creamier than VT107A maybe bit colored for that but very enticing when still powerful clear and quiet.

Dont have any Miniwatts as far as I know. I spent over an hour moving boxes to find a GZ34 tho. One moment I thought I might have sent you my last one but then there they were.

My thaughts about the 6V6 is that it is a pretty stiff tube. Not very forgiving it is says Yoda. Gotta take care of your voltages you need. Wonderful when you find the spot it can be tho.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Dont have any Miniwatts as far as I know. I spent over an hour moving boxes to find a GZ34 tho. One moment I thought I might have sent you my last one but then there they were.

My thaughts about the 6V6 is that it is a pretty stiff tube. Not very forgiving it is says Yoda. Gotta take care of your voltages you need. Wonderful when you find the spot it can be tho.

When on output stage the transformer turns bring down the gain and the input signal is much stronger so almost all samples and makes are usable. For the preamp though especially in gain version and on horns it asks for the Yoda selection ritual first. :D

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Tomorrow morning i will start exchangin my values in the xovers with those and the isabellenhuttes in the tweeter section. I seriously expect to be scared of the sound relating to other experiences. They are so extremely tight it can shock you. If anyone wants a ding test its to be tomorrow, after that it goes back to the nice experiences departement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 272
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tomorrow morning i will start exchangin my values in the xovers with those and the isabellenhuttes in the tweeter section. I seriously expect to be scared of the sound relating to other experiences. They are so extremely tight it can shock you. If anyone wants a ding test its to be tomorrow, after that it goes back to the nice experiences departement.
Are the speakers your design? Had used calibrated Mic, MLS signal, simulator, or is it done like more traditionally?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Are the speakers your design? Had used calibrated Mic, MLS signal, simulator, or is it done like more traditionally?

No. I had no knowledge of speaker design whatsoever when I got them. It is (now) friends of mine that did design it. Swedish DIY elite one might say. I went to a listening in the countryside outside Gothenburg and baught them spot on. The easily driven pro element with a nice amp just cut my heart out.

Then several times I have questioned the filter design. Tho the guy Petter that did it is an educated genious (doctor in acoustics). I did some variables and tweeks to it and now Im starting to settle down on the values. I still have 7 fixed but variable settings with 3 position switches that I am tuning to the type of music Im listening to and also which source.

I did have a problem at first trusting my own ears but now I have learned to be calm with that.

I think I will redesign the boxes to someday. Im not entirely convinced by MLTL, not in my room anyway. But yea, I can, and have putted 10 k dollares + speakers beside it and I wouldnt change so in that way Im satisfied.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
No. I had no knowledge of speaker design whatsoever when I got them. It is (now) friends of mine that did design it. Swedish DIY elite one might say. I went to a listening in the countryside outside Gothenburg and baught them spot on. The easily driven pro element with a nice amp just cut my heart out.

Then several times I have questioned the filter design. Tho the guy Petter that did it is an educated genious (doctor in acoustics). I did some variables and tweeks to it and now Im starting to settle down on the values. I still have 7 fixed but variable settings with 3 position switches that I am tuning to the type of music Im listening to and also which source.

I did have a problem at first trusting my own ears but now I have learned to be calm with that.

I think I will redesign the boxes to someday. Im not entirely convinced by MLTL, not in my room anyway. But yea, I can, and have putted 10 k dollares + speakers beside it and I wouldnt change so in that way Im satisfied.

Is it a big white one I have seen once in photos when you were debugging a small power tubes amplifier? What units and horn type does it use?