6th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2009

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
maxro said:
I could bring a thrift store Philips cd player with on-the-fly switching from 4x to 0x oversampling tda1541 DAC.

That is, provided I can catch a ride from the downtown Victoria area on Saturday. Any offers?

Good find... even just the 1541, let alone the player... i'm sure we can find you a ride. Chris? Anyone closer?

I'll be in town Friday afternoon (to pick up the Apple TV), if you want to camp out.

dave

planet10 said:
I'll be in town Friday afternoon (to pick up the Apple TV), if you want to camp out.

Aengus said:
I need to sort out with my buddy Richard when we're showing up and whether sleeping over, etc., but in any case I'd be happy to give you a lift up from Victoria on Saturday.

I've got to work on Friday, but thanks for the offer Dave.

Sounds good, Aengus. I could stay over Saturday night if need be.

chris : as you know, infused vodka is woman's drink. Real men prefer good Scotch Whiskey, straight from the 'ole' country. Most whiskey made in North America really isn't whiskey (I used to work for a distiller in the blending room), but vodka, aged with fake whiskey flavour, caramel (burnt sugar), and colouring. It is "aged" in a barrel, but that's about it. And "20 " year whiskey can contain as little as 5% of 20 year old whiskey (not the whole bottle). And aging ceases as soon as it is bottled.

well I guess I know now -
thanks for saving me the confusion of deciding for myself, Stew

Might as well stick with beer, 'cause that's something us Canuck do as well or better than any else on the planet....

Well, I hate most commercial 'merican beers as much as the next Canuck, but the Swedes, Yanks, and Belgians might differ with you on that

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/bestbeers_012009.asp

I guess 2 out of 100 ain't so bad ('xcept for the Quebec part)

of course, how seriously would you take the opinion of a bunch of obvious alcoholics? :D

sorry if you can't make it

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Just winding down from Friday.

Terry & Andy & Merilee have arrived from Washington, Bob & Jim made it from Abbotsford.

Jesse & Daniel built a BIG OB for the golwood 18s... looks like a big boom box (pictures to follow)

Many speakers were assembled (still a few to go).

Still need to get a few ducks in a row, but we are set for a very good day tomorrow.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Saturday, pushing 11, small crew still here, listening to uFonken with single SDX7 foot cubed woofer, driven by Gregg the Geek's transformation of my 1.5 stereo 70s (Woody i finally used the good transformer in the one you donated to the cause).

Attendance didn't quite make last years (we missed you Cal & Stu & Moray), but John did come from London.

A good time was had by all... more to follow (Ruth says she has 200 pictures)

dave

Hi All,
I'm just getting packed up and having a cup of morning coffee, still have to get to the Ferry dock. I had a wonderful time visiting and listening to the great gear. There were so many speakers I think that I probably missed a few, but the highlights this year, and this is just my opinion, were the Wall of Sound/World's Biggest Boombox, Daniel's El PipeO Sub and Bob's Fostex Horns which were very nicely driven by his 45 and 300b tube amps.

I've got to get going for now, but if you weren't here then you really missed out.

Thanks to Dave and his better half, Ruth for the hospitality and great food!

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Before i forget. Winner got to choose from the remainder of the prize pile.

Richard Packham -- Grant Fidelity DAC-01 (actually his friend John from London won, but he gifted it) [thanx Rachel]

Max Cochrane -- CHR-70 from Mark Audio [thanx Mark]

Aengus MacIntosh -- CHR-70 from Mark Audio (he assumed they were Alpair6, which he was quite enamoured of -- we'll be talking) [thanx Mark]

Frank McCrea -- CSS FR125SR from CSS [thanx Bob]

Scott Dunn -- P10 mMar-Kel70 with p10 EL70eN drivers (quite a compliment that Scott , being a master builder, would choose boxes already made) [thanx dave & chris]

Terry Olson -- CSS EL70 [thanx Bob]

Merilee Catero (of Andy &) -- CSS Trio8 [thanx Bob]

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.