• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SN7 equivalents in B9A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow - a 10 year old thread reminding us of how prices have rocketed up in 10 years. You won't get E80CC or ECC40 cheap any more. Which suggests looking for some more unusual tubes. I suggest the 5670/6N3P, very good sound and still good value because of its odd pinout. mu = 35. ECC99 is closer, mu = 22. And the 6N30 is in the ballpark as well, mu = 16.

I love 6N3P. When they were like 1$ CAD I bought like 50 of them I think.
6N14P is like the upgraded version (used in higher end kit).
This thread makes me want to stock up on a few things before things get stupid... I once bought 45 6N8S tubes for under 100$ CAD...

EDIT: sent a PM to you, Ling.

Last edited:
Double triodes are stupid prices already. I regret selling all my 12AV7, 6414, 5965,5751, plus all my EF86 as well. Thought I'd never use them when I went over to DHTs like 26, 01A and 10Y. Then I recently started building a few microphones, so of course I had to re-stock some of these tubes again. For the EF86s I got PF86s with 4.5v filaments. And for the double triodes, 5670 and some of the Russian tubes. Fortunately I hung on to my ECC40s and E80CCs. 12AT7 are still good value but NOS 6072 are silly money - its a popular tube for microphones and stage amps.

6197 has a mu around 22 to 24 in triode mode, and triode curves to drool over.
They were $0.35 to $0.50 a year ago, but more like $1 or $2 today.

Attachments

• rsz_6197_50_5_1p125.jpg
    rsz_6197_50_5_1p125.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 154
It does have a poor FFT spectrum.
Well obviously, its a valve! Do you mean poorer than other particular devices perhaps? Under how much cathode degeneration?

All valves have a basically non-linear transfer function (roughly a 3/2 power law), just as all bipolar transistors have an exponential transfer function and all FETs have a square law at heart. From an FFT perspective FETs win everytime due to the lack of 3rd-order distortion products, but in practice the high transconductance of BJTs makes them far easier to linearize than FETs (same goes for pentodes over triodes)

In practice the more gain a device has the more linear it can be in practice using local feedback (such as with a cathode resistor)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.