• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SN7 6N8S preamp suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Mu followers are quite tolerant of B+ so anything between 275V and 325V will be fine. I am a great believer in well smoothed supplies and I would use sever RC filters cascaded. Heaters in a 6SN7 mu follower need to be elevated to about 75V to avoid exceeding Vhk ratings. Heaters for this kind of preamp can be ac or dc. My HT250 PCB will provide a well smoothed HT and heater elevation on a single board:

http://www.ianbell.ukfsn.org/EzTubeMixer/

Cheers

Ian

Have I to elevate heaters to 75V in both tubes, right?

Cheers

Felipe

100K log pot at input is OK.

Cheers

Ian

I'm still learning here - so please be patient.

As I've just heard with a solid state amp - changing the input resistors from carbon to metal film makes a dramatic improvement to the sound quality.

Turns out there is far more to resistor noise than the old text book description of thermal noise.*

Those rotating DACT volume controls get horrifically expensive (rotating selector switches with banks of metal film resistors).

For the 100K volume control - Is there anything you would recommend - at a sane price ?

* This is a great little artical on resistor noise
Resistor Types--Does It Matter?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Measurements B+ 300V, heater elevated 75V, heaters:

Right channel
Across R4 1K 3.84V = 3,84mA
Between anode lower valve R5 100K & C1 0,1uF 164,7V
Between R6 1K & R5 10K & R7 220K 127,2V

Left channel
Across R4 1K 3.88V = 3,88mA
Between anode lower valve R5 100K & C1 0,1uF 165,9V
Between R6 1K & R5 10K & R7 220K 127,8V

I believe measurements are ok:), now I soldered the volum pot and check with scope before listening.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.