• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6p14p(EL84) SE with 6n6p build jurnal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
caveat - some of his technical prose is "interesting" to say the least

I think that's a necessary part of audiophile marketing. You simply wouldn't succeed in that business without a very creative audio vocabulary.

I am, however, having more trouble than usual deciphering how an amplifier that has "more spank" might actually sound. Or whether that's a good thing or bad. :eek:

..Todd

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EL84s are a very nice output tube. Very easy to make a nice amp. With a ballsy enuff source/preamp, you can even do an SE spud amp.

The SE84 amps chris built started with that pair of Zens... We ended up (i have the amps now), with a variation on the RH84 (you'll get a lot of hits on it). A better amp, with 2x the power, than the Decware. My favorite thou is the Class A PP triode loosly based on El Cheapo (puts out a whopping 3.2W and, within its power limits, some of the best bass i've heard). You'd need to dig up another 6N6p. Other popular PP amps are Baby Huey & the Red light District.

The interesting output stage on the Valderama revolves around the output transformer. It would be very interesting if you could get OPTs.

dave

you might want to take a look at the higher powered SEP design from the same guy ( Steve D)

DECWARE - Zen Taboo designer's notes
Thank you for the tip. i will do some reasearch on that. See what people say about it's performance. A SEP was what i had in mind in the first place.

The interesting output stage on the Valderama revolves around the output transformer. It would be very interesting if you could get OPTs.

dave

Here are some passages from his post

"Do not bother with stupid schemes 100 years old, here you have a real plan with a EL84 SE who will not be found anywhere on the net or elsewhere!. It goes from 7_8Hz up to 50kHz (1dB) (on Sinus course!"....."
"14 cm2 transformer oriented ferrosilicon without air gap"
"3W - immeasurable distortion at 1kHz ....
4.5 W with 2.5% THD"
"If you want an angryer one tell me? (it can be done)."

*Translation

The guy has an unique way of answering using "hard sentences" and tons of scientific facts. He is a well regarder figure on the equivalent forum here in romania. He managed to get 7.5W from a single EL84 in a SE configuration(sinus with a good amount of THD, but it was sinus power anyway)

The OTP's will be costum wounded. Cheap :D...But first...i have to decide....

I find the claims regarding linearity and lack of distortion quite ambitious, but even if he's exaggerating, who really cares? The concept looks feasible, you mentioned several times you can get the proper OPT's for little money, so go ahead and experiment! The way you present it, it would be a no-brainer for me. You've got the architecture, the contacts, and there's noothing in your way to implement something that seems capable of at least decent performance. If you don't like it, you'll find out only after building it, and you found yourself a reason to build something else. Which is the fun if DIY: create something, enjoy it, be critical of its shortcomings, and hop on to the next project!

I find the claims regarding linearity and lack of distortion quite ambitious, but even if he's exaggerating, who really cares? The concept looks feasible, you mentioned several times you can get the proper OPT's for little money, so go ahead and experiment! The way you present it, it would be a no-brainer for me. You've got the architecture, the contacts, and there's noothing in your way to implement something that seems capable of at least decent performance. If you don't like it, you'll find out only after building it, and you found yourself a reason to build something else. Which is the fun if DIY: create something, enjoy it, be critical of its shortcomings, and hop on to the next project!

Good point. compared to decware SEP this schematic is better right?( at first glance). I'm gonna build them all! :))

I can't say which one is better. But personally, I always to prefer something that is feasible under the circumstances. One of those circumstances happens to be that many affordable tube projects on these boards rely on parts that are relatively easy to come by if you live in the US, but much harder (or more costly) to obtain in Europe. This is especially true for OPT's. Hence, when building a tube amp, especially in Europe, I'd advise to first find out what sort of OPT will be obtainable for the amount of money you're willing to spend, and then decide on a schematic to match it. In your case, you have good accessibility to the OPT used in the Valderama schematic, so personally, I'd choose that route instead of selecting some nice schematic and then spending weeks or even months chasing the parts you need for it. (In short: I'd love to have a company like Edcor nextdoor, but unfortunately, I haven't).

Hi rvrazvan,

You can use any power transformer you like,
as long as it's capable of delivering 100mA

i strongly advise you to use PSUD2 by Duncan Amps

a brilliant tool to experiment with different set-ups.
I find the measured outcome to be spot-on when it's actually build.

Planet10,
have you ever made a PP version of the RH84 ?

I made one, and it puts out 7,5W per channel.
The 7,5W is what is to be expected as the single ended does ~3,5W.

However, I do not understand the simulation Mr. Kitic once posted on this site... How can this sim say 18.96W ?!

Cheers,
Empee

Attachments

• rh84 pp sim_2.jpg
    rh84 pp sim_2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 549
Hi rvrazvan,

Planet10,

However, I do not understand the simulation Mr. Kitic once posted on this site... How can this sim say 18.96W ?!

Cheers,
Empee
Thank you :D.

Hi rvrazvan,

Planet10,

Cheers,
Empee
Thank you :D.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.