• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6p14p(EL84) SE with 6n6p build jurnal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok so i got my hands on a few russians:
-4x 6p14p
-1x 6n6p
-1x 6n2p-ev

I'm new to this field. I do not have much experience with electronics so i will need some help.

First step is obvious....chosing a schematic:

Right now i have my eye on this schematic( triode/pentode operating mode)

bfi1242998933e.gif

I welcome any sugestion about this schematic or other schematics.

I linked someone to that schematic a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't greeted with much enthusiasm by the regulars on this forum. The schematic is most likely a guitar amp offering high gain...and high distortion.

Alternatives that are much better sounding (apparently; I haven't built either) can be found here:
Simple EL84 poweramp/integrated (push pull, which is no problem since you have 4 6p14p's)
http://www.decware.com/se84cschematic.pdf (single ended triode mode; less power, more expensive output transformer, but I'd prefer to build this one myself)

Well i can get a ton more 6p14p's...but i'm gonna stick to a SE for the moment. PP will be my next project :D.
I will read more about the zen project.
Look at this one also. It's made by a guy from my country...and it seems that he knows a few thing about tube amps :p....but looks hard to build...

Attachments

• Schema_ADEVARATA SE EL84.GIF
    Schema_ADEVARATA SE EL84.GIF
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,869
If you use the 'Valderama' circuit shown above, you will need to add feedback from the secondary side of the OPT. Hence, the circuit will require some modification. I'd personally stick to the tried and tested decware amp. You could modify it to use the 6n6p.

Sounds like a good deal on the transformers, you got any specs of those?

The decware SE will put out about 2W max, which is enough for efficient bookshelf speakers. For comparison: I'm currently using a badly designed 2x6AQ5 PP triode amp in my living room that will put out no more than about 750mW, which is enough to reach quite neighbor-unfriendly sound levels ;) You could get a bit more than 2W out of a single tube if you run it in pentode mode, but you'd need to add feedback. If you want more power, you can go push-pull and go up to about 10W with two output tubes.

well the ot will be custom made anyway. maybe i can have them done by the same guy ho made the schematic :p.
In that case, the Valderama circuit would be an interesting thing to try. I'm also interested to hear what other members of the forum think of that circuit.

I noticed this thread and thought I would add a little about the Decware Zen Amp. We purchased a DIY Zkit1 amp and found it very easy to build. It is like the SE84 link shown on this site. It only has the two SV83 tubes and one 6n1p tube. It has produced 2.3w/channel at full volume. We are using it for an amp to test speakers built due to it's small size. When testing the desktop speakers, which are 90dB @ 1/W, we realized how much 2watts/channel can be. We will have it turned up to 12 o'clock on the volume dial and it's loud enough to wake the wife without giving out. This kit is bridgeable (5w/channel) and can be modified for use with a rectifier tube like in the SE84C. The ot's do not have specs on them but they are custom made for Decware.
This amp has been solid by far with many hours put on it. One nice part about the amp for testing is the load can very from 2ohms to 8ohms.
With all of that said, this is a fun little DIY project anyone can do. Even if you haven't slung solder before. It's $300 and comes with the power transformer, two output transformers and the PC board with parts, volume knob, input connections, mounting screws, and binding posts. A solid purchase.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CDIY.pdf

rvrazvan-

Honestly it's sound is honest. The Zkit has tight bass, clear precise highs, and smooth midrange. Even tried organ music on it and it never gave up when the low notes come in with the chords. (Organ Sensation~ Felix Hell) Imaging is fantastic. Choirs come in with direction and accuracy like your in the music hall listening to them. (Sleepy Hollow~Danny Elfman) Didn't expect that with such a little amp.
Previously using a $1500 integrated tube amp and found ourselves enjoying this a lot more.

rvrazvan-
Personally we haven't bridged the amp.
Found this on the Decware Website though,
MONO BLOCKS

Worried about 2 watts being enough power? Both the SE84C+ and the SE84ZS models employ a unique floating output transformer scheme where the negative speaker wire is not tied to chassis ground. That means when the amp is bridged, both channels may either be series or parallel wired. In series, both channels work as one and transparency is preserved.

So with no sonic drawbacks to running the amps in mono, you can expect 6 dB of additional power rather then the expected 3dB. This is thanks to the power increase the amp has when it sees half the speaker load from being bridged.

I would say contact them, they have a good reputation for customer service.
Worth a shot ;)

Are we talking about the "stereo" amplifier that has the cathodes of the Left+Right output tubes shared? In self-bias applications, there is signal on the cathodes, too. Why mix the channels if you want stereo operation?

Also, how "unique" is an output transformer whose secondary is not grounded?

Well all i know for now is that this amp is well regarded by most of the people who heard it. However i wold like more power from it....so i was thinking maybe i could build 2 in the end and bridge them. But i need some feedback on this ideea. I don't have the knowledge to predict evetual problem that may rise doing this.

Are you talking about the Zen amp?

Well all i know for now is that this amp is well regarded by most of the people who heard it. However i wold like more power from it....so i was thinking maybe i could build 2 in the end and bridge them. But i need some feedback on this ideea. I don't have the knowledge to predict evetual problem that may rise doing this.

you might want to take a look at the higher powered SEP design from the same guy ( Steve D)

caveat - some of his technical prose is "interesting" to say the least, but I've heard several of his amps, and they sound quite delightful

note that a couple of important features of his SE designs is that the in-house wound OPT are floating to allow for bridging - I've heard a pair of "Cs" run that way and aside from a bit more grain/noise detectable on very high sensitivity speakers, it works quite well

DECWARE - Zen Taboo designer's notes

oops, I see that TurningPoint beat me to it ("hey" Bob?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.