• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N6P vs. 6N6P-I

Karsten Sømand said:
Hi Anatoliy!

Got the point. Let me ask you in another way. Which one of the 6N30 types of tube do you prefer - and why?

Where?

I use 6N6P tubes to drive 6L6 and GU-50 output tubes. However, I would prefer to use a pair of 6P15P there, but 6N6P requires one socket only. However, dynamic change of parameters is higher because of smaller plate areas, but it is inaudible. I don't use 6N30P because I can't buy them for a reasonable price.

:eek: Yikes!

I just looked at the prices people are wanting for the 6N30P. $99 per tube? No thanks.

I'll stick with the 6N6P. Properly biased they sound great. Underbiased they sound muddy, veiled and very restrained (lots of 2nd harmonic distortion I suspect) just like a lot of tubes I've played with.

I think I found that it started sounding good above 10mA. Below 10mA it was very muddy without good definition. I didn't do any further experiments beyond determining that the biasing was the problem.

Looking at the Ia/Ua curves I would think 12mA should be good with 150Va-k. 15 might be a bit better depending on load impedance.

What load impedance? How large of an output will you need? 30Vrms looks to be good at 12mA and a 8K load or higher.

In my opinion, and with my ears:)

These 6H30P-DR (year 96?)and SOWTEC & EH-EBs
they are much worse than 6N6P 60/70s back(include olds -I)
Other world whit 6h30p-dr (i have of year 74) much better than all 80s, and also good sounding old 6N6 into logo <> 60s, sounding 1 bit low than 6h30dr of these years

Re-In my opinion, and with my ears, of my sctock, and trying in my Cavalli-Lovell BIJOU headamp.

P.S. escuses by ny Babelfish Translator

Over two years since we discussed this. Let's see what can be added to the discussion.

6n6p sound "lazy" in an amp set up for 6n30p, 6n30p sound "brittle" in an amp set up for 6n6p. That is down to the specifications for optimum performance - I think we can all understand that.

I had a customer pestering me for something "different" in the same line. I told him there's not much, the ecc804 is characteristically similar -but put that in place of a 6n30p and you are metaphorically replacing a 30A fuse with a 3A fuse.

He's been using ecc804 with 600 ohm headphones in his head amp ever since.

I have used them in phono stages and I find them beautifully clean with low noise, and cheap.

MY OPINION?

There's no need to chase the 6n30p-dr. That is a very expensive sledgehammer to crack a walnut. The walnut is the ecc804.

I'm working on a design for a KT88 PP UL fixed bias amp.

I have a concertina driving 6N6P that drive the KT88.

I calculated 400V through 12K to the 6N6P plate, 19mA, -6V bias.

The curves look good there for driving the KT88, a little more than 80V peak.

Is 19mA about right for this tube? Seems so.

edit: I should clarify, the 12K was calculated, but I would like to use a 10M45 CCS instead of the plate resistor since the resistor would need to be a 10W or so.

Last edited:
There's a plethora of big ol Russki precision wire wound resistors on eBay - 10W or 2 x 5W should not be a problem.

!9mA is about spot on, but you might like to consider a "parallel pair" to "relax" the design. Just a suggestion , but those big bottles are very demanding ...

Sorry to be obscure - I'm in the wrong conversation for the comment to make immediate sense!

I'm in too many places this week.

Mostly, it's a "balance" idea. Since you very rarely get a balanced pair in a twin triode, but the imbalance tends to be similar from valve to valve, if you parallel t2 of V1 with t1 of V2, and t2 of V2 with t1 of V1, the result is very well balanced - the gain differences level out.
Add to that the fact that they aren't working hard, and they should last longer than they would if used one at a time.

I must not post after drinking whisky,
I must not post after drinking whisky.

An addendum - apart from the balance advantage, you should of course realise that this trick halves the output impedance. I should have been more explicit.
If you were a valve you would feel massively relaxed with another to help you.

I must not post after drinking whisky.

I found the 6N6P to be a solid driver when configured as a LTP with CCS. For tonal flavor I varied the first stage which was a 6SN7. Many different versions available to choose from....

Attachments

• 6SN7_ 6H6PI_PCB.jpg
    6SN7_ 6H6PI_PCB.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 814
My best success has been with high currents, 18 mA or more. Get the voltage up for optimal linearity, maybe around 120-150, being careful of dissipation ratings.

I have also used it as CCS LTP driver with great results, down as low as 6 mA per, but that was due to B+ limitations in the circuit. If I could go higher I would.