• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N6P tube - focus on

Hi

I use a higher Vdc
You go at 320-360 Vdc
And the use of the trimmer in that position for me is not fine. The contact with current will degrade
For me a good current for each section will be 7/8 mA
With 6H30 with similar circuit I run with 400vdc and the swing is perfect. Of course the resistor are to be well defined
For this I use to put in parallel a high value to fix the equal voltage on both section
Hello,

It's difficult for me to increase the Vdc :
Powerstage run at 340v ,
maximum voltage for my 6j9p by Lamina is 295v at 5ua,
phase spliter and input stage are on the same B+.(I'm saving resistor and capacitor and carefull with phase shifting.PSUD2 give a noise lower than 2mv)
At first i used a dn2540 CCS, it worked fine but a few moment...
Now i'm still waiting for my soundcard, Arta or Rew will be the judge.

I know the trouble with the pot , but i use a strong 2w carbon film pot.
By the way, same trouble is on the bias pots.Here i use two 47k resistor in parallel for each 20k pot.

Question for you : Why do you use a such expensive tube (6H30) for a phase spliter ? Here ,harmonics are disapearing , isn't it ?

Regards

Hello,

It's difficult for me to increase the Vdc :
Powerstage run at 340v ,
maximum voltage for my 6j9p by Lamina is 295v at 5ua,
phase spliter and input stage are on the same B+.(I'm saving resistor and capacitor and carefull with phase shifting.PSUD2 give a noise lower than 2mv)
At first i used a dn2540 CCS, it worked fine but a few moment...
Now i'm still waiting for my soundcard, Arta or Rew will be the judge.

I know the trouble with the pot , but i use a strong 2w carbon film pot.
By the way, same trouble is on the bias pots.Here i use two 47k resistor in parallel for each 20k pot.

Question for you : Why do you use a such expensive tube (6H30) for a phase spliter ? Here ,harmonics are disapearing , isn't it ?

Regards

I use the 6H30; in your case can be better due the lower Rp .
When properly configured is a very good solution with a low distortion an reasonable low Zout
The cost , in my opinion, are not important if the results is fine; the quality of splitter is mandatory to get a perfect signal delivered to power tubes.
But the 6N6 works also good.
If you use a C-L-C dedicated only to input stage, derivated from first capacitor, maybe you will get a higher voltage

Reactions: 1 user
What do you think about the 6S7B triode ...

This is a strange "subminiature tube" but I believe it is a fantastic one and it cost about nothing on eBay ...

The curves are very linear all over a 350V peak to peak output swing with just - 3,25V bias at 300V 3ma (0,9W) operating point (the maximum Ua) ... So the gain is very high ! It have a 1,45W maximum dissipation and 7ma current. I evaluate the dynamic plate resistance to about 25K at this point, like a 12AY7.

I think I will buy some this winter for tests, they cost about 40$ for a lot of 10 and less than 15$ for two ... It is easy to hookup them on a small "terminal strip" inside the amplifier frame.

Alain. :D
It's not that linear...
6S6B is far better, but low mu, as you would expect.

Reactions: 1 user