• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6CB5 AMP BUILD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Ale,

When comparing two different tubes, this only makes sense if they are compared in a very similar environment. Often the mistake is made to compare two very different amps with different tubes and then the sound difference is only attributed to the output tubes themselves.

I did compare the 6CB5A to a 45 in pretty much similar amps: 6N7 driver in both, both using the same Tango interstage and output transformers. Same caps and similar power supplies (only adapted for the different voltages of the two).

In such a comparison the 45 wins. No contest. But the 45 has less than 25% of the max output power. The 6CB5a is usable with a wider range of loudspeakers.

Even though these have been almost the same amps, I'd be hesitant to say that all the difference is due to the tubes. It is also the interplay between driver and output tube.

Although both used the same Tango XE20S, different taps have been used to accommodate the different plate resistances.

People often forget that it's always a lot of different aspects which are compared with each other. How do the components work with each other, how does the amp interact with the system, mainly the speaker.

Best regards

Thomas

Thomas,
Agree with your comments and understand that is a complex systems with too many variables and output valves are only one of them. I should have been more specific with my question and was trying to get some impressions on the sound of it compared to a reference valve I'm familiarised with.

Btw: read your article on this on the blog and it's very good indeed
Thanks
Ale

Howdy

Howdy, All: Just joined the group after following some of the threads regarding Hor Sweep tubes for audio. A little about myself: I am a EE with extensive analog design experience, mostly in high temperature, sensitive circuits used in Downhole oil/gas wells.
Due to the influence of an uncle who was also a EE and an avid home builder of all things electronic, I got introduced to vacuum tubes very early on (I was given a handful of 76 tubes and some other ancillary parts, some instruction, and cut loose to apply them as my imagination saw fit).
I have been wanting to return to tubes and have been planning and paper doodling a lot lately, going over some simulations to run a range from 6CB5 to 807 in UL mode, something with a conservative output of 30-50W/channel, with different driver topologies being considered.
Anyway, as work permits (self employed, both a blessing and a curse), I'll keep on looking and doodling and collecting parts to make it happen. As I get closer, I'll try and post specifics. See Y'all! Rene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.