• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6CB5 AMP BUILD.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6CB5 AMP PICS

Here are the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,926
  • IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,816
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 1,801
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 1,787
I had the pleasure of listening to this amplifier for a couple hours last night on my recently completed Tang Band 1772 speakers. All I can say is WOW this thing sounds AMAZING!!!
Great job Jim on the build and thanks Thomas for a great design! The problem now is that I'm spoiled and I WANT ONE!!! lol This is definitely the "cure for the common amp"!!

Larry

Hi Jeff,

How about some details?

You can find the schematics for 6CB5A amps on my blog. Click on the label 6CB5A for all posts related to this tube. The amp looks like the RC coupled version. There is also an interstage transformer coupled one which is a bit more sophisticated. Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions. I can also provide parts if you have difficulties to find what is needed.

Best regards

Thomas

6CB5 RC VERSION

Yes Thomas is right, it is the RC version which simply means it is capacitor coupled to the 6CB5 instead of the interstage transformer, this is the lower cost version, but not in all respects the power supply is a little more involved in that it has two pie filter sections with three banks of filtering all bypassed by quality mpp caps. The plate voltage on the 6CB5'S is 400v @70ma each, the 6N7'S are at 200v. All wiring is point to point with connections as short as possible, the actual chassis size is 17''x10''x3'' and it weighs approx 50lbs. I can tell you the extra choke and filtering is well worth it because this amp is dead quiet and that really also impressed everyone at the amps debut Thursday night. Oh and yes the old st shape 6CB5 are rare but I'm fortunate to have a dozen of them and I'll be looking for more, I'ts funny I had these tubes probably 15 years and never would have done anything with them had I not seen Thomas's blog so thank you Thomas!

Last edited:
Thank you Adolf for your comments, the zebra wood surround for the amp was custom made by LARRYLDSPKR of the forum and also a long time friend of mine, he has been a master at woodcraft for a very long time. I appreciate his talent and am fortunate to have him living close to me.

if you push it too far the plates might start to turn orange.....I'd be more concerned with the screens than the plates

There are few if any sweep tubes that can eat 400+ volts on the screen.

Personally I don't wish to run the tubes any hotter, however when running in triode the screens can handle the higher voltage without any trouble. If you run these tubes in pentode 220v should not be exceeded on the screens according to my manuals.

Keep in mind that idling with no input or very low volume imposes the worst case dissipation on a Class A amp. At idle the plate and screen are at nearly the same voltage.

Look carefully into your tube after it has been sitting at idle for a minute or so to see if the screen is beginning to glow. A glowing screen will mean a short tube life and cause an unexpected runaway condition usually when idling.

Most of my 6CB5 experiments were done in push pull and even screen driven push pull. The screen is pretty rugged, but all tubes were not the same. Those experiments were several years ago and I don't remember the details.

But who on earth is this 6CB5 tube? Haven't heard of such a thing... Now I'll have to go through my stash to see if I had any...

The 6CB5 is a TV sweep tube (line output) from the first generation of color TV sets in the 1950's. I had a 1957 vintage Emerson color TV that was actually built by RCA. It used a 6CB5A. I remembered the number ad bought a bunch when this happened, they were $2 each.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/128533-tube-sale-aes.html?highlight=tube+sale+AES

Single Ended Bliss!

I spent a couple hours listening to Jims 6CB5 amp on my TB 1772 speakers. Holy Mother of Crap!! This combo is AMAZING!!

Attachments

• IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,026
  • amp pics 015.jpg
    amp pics 015.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 968
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 920
  • amp pics 017.jpg
    amp pics 017.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 915
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.