• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6c33 Se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IN AGREEMENT

fdegrove,
Thank you very much for making some things more clear to me, as I felt a little lost. I also have the slight impression that this thread has stalled and the discussion was becoming "more private" than on other threads.
Regarding the 6336A in my possession, the are all marked RCA and I sincerely believe they will not be afflicted by the problems mentioned in your post.
6080 is a favorite of mine as well -- although I prefer both sound and looks of 6AS7G (Chatham in particular). I would like to see the Megaherz 6080 SE design - could you post a link?
When it comes to English, we all try to do our best. Fast writing of posts is more like conversation than writing, with the difference that when you speak, a lot of mistakes might get unnoticed. My command of the english language is supposed to be quite good, but although being professionally involved in writing and speaking, I do not believe I could quite match the subtleties of a native english speaker. When exchanging ideas, grammar and spelling should not be important, at least to the point where everyone can understand what was it that the other person is trying to say. Therefore reprimanding someone for grammar or spelling is an obvious sign of unacceptable manners.

Regards,
Aleksandar

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

although I prefer both sound and looks of 6AS7G (Chatham in particular).

Of all the 6AS7Gs I've ever tried, the Chatham was by far my favourite as well. Quite a coincidence you mentioning the same brand.
Still, overall and looks aside I do prefer the 6080s as they seem more extended in the highs. At least in my amps anyway.
300 KhZ flat, OTL...Someone will jealously accuse me of being bat-eared, I'm sure.

The little Megaherz design I mentioned goes through life under the name of "Lilliput" and really belies it's name.
I suspect the OPT to be a major contributor to it's impressive performance, the circuit itself is rather "ordinary" in concept.

LILLIPUT

Cheers,;)

Dear Aleksander,
I understand you are looking for a different sound, but I am
afraid you will be putting a very large voltage to the grid, too large I suppose.
This is just an opinion, but I happened to examine a broken 6C33 and noticed that the distance between cathode and grid is really very, very small and your simulation shows - 372 V peak.
Honestly, I wouldn't try that, but if you decided to go on with your
project, let me know, I am interested.
Thanks.
Ari

- Light and experience show you the horizon, beyond which you
need imagination.

Good looking amps

Well, I personally admire good looking amps... although in most cases those amps do not perform as well as they look. The reason was elucidated to me by my wife, some time ago: "if you spent all the time you were learning, writing spice models, making breadboards, soldering stuff... etc. in a metal work-shop, your amps would look even better". And, I can't object to that :)

Regards to all... no fresh air on this thread, as far as I can feel. No new ideas or anything... we are back to the admiration part, mostly because none of us has a metal workshop at hand :(

Aleksandar

Re: Good looking amps

Alex Kitic said:

Regards to all... no fresh air on this thread, as far as I can feel. No new ideas or anything... we are back to the admiration part, mostly because none of us has a metal workshop at hand :(

Aleksandar

Sorry Alex for polluting the air even more but this schematic I found, looks promising for tube newbies like me. No SRPP or cathode follower stage, distortion cancellation (ala Borberly) and little bit of negative feedback, to make the complex loudspeakers more happy.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
http://www.tubescreen.com/diy/se_6s33s/6s33s_se.htm

argo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.