637 Amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today, it is strange that GIF file is not recognized by DIYAudio, so I changed to BMP, but DIYA cannot accept more than 195KB, so I changed to PNG.

In the past I like the sound of LED-based ccs. Even now I think LED is good for sound :D

In the past, the listening test was conducted in an "uncontrolled" manner. But I think the real test is when led is used and it never turned us down, right?

Here is my Goldmund clone (actually it doesn't have to be called a Goldmund clone just because the topology is the same) using led based ccs of 1.949mA, giving JFET source voltage of 2.6182V.

I created other 2 or 3 ccs that will give the same current and voltage, and compared them in LTSpice. To be fair, all ccs uses the same 2N2222 transistor. It is not that fair actually, because the amp has been tuned with led-based ccs in place (and the ccs itself not yet fine tuned to put the transistor in good operating condition). But anyway...

I was surprised that the led-based ccs outperform (tho microscopically) the ccs next to it. And was terribly surprised with the performance of the Goldmund Mimesis style ccs.

The Mimesis ccs gives very high distortion to the first stage. It can be seen from Goldmund amps simulation (especially Metis3) where first stage distortion is very very high. Theorists will say that it doesn't matter as long as the final distortion is fixed by feedback. I just used my voodoo skill and decided to get 0.1% distortion from the first stage :D

Attachments

• CCS2.PNG
    CCS2.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 483
better sound, frequency response is better, I find using 3 mA for each j-fet, use CCs at the most. Sounds a lot more clear! interesting

I believe it is mostly because you also increase the bias of the output. In my case, I want the TO-92 VAS to get no more than 500mW (and the output at no more than 400mA), without changing the already balanced characteristics of the VAS.

If you want far more higher current for the JFET you will have to change the VAS.

I believe it is mostly because you also increase the bias of the output. In my case, I want the TO-92 VAS to get no more than 500mW (and the output at no more than 400mA), without changing the already balanced characteristics of the VAS.

If you want far more higher current for the JFET you will have to change the VAS.

you can draw it?? about you say??

Attachments

• new-ccs-4.jpg
    new-ccs-4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 479
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
you can draw it?? about you say??

What I mean is:

With all component values already decided, and low power transistor (e.g. TO-92) used as VAS/driver. You can change the front-end CCS to give variable current.

The higher the ccs current, the more heat VAS transistors have to dissipate. If you change the VAS transistor with bigger ones, most parameters will also be altered. It means that by changing the ccs current to certain high value, you will have to redesign your VAS and everything.

And with the same topology, I doubt you can benefit from very high current input stage (such as 14mA), but you can try. I was limited to MPSA92, 2N5401, BD139, BF470 and MJE340 for the VAS/driver (I have better parts but without model yet).

OPAMP vs LED

I just quickly simulated Quanghao ccs using LT opamp as shown in attachment. I tweak one resistor to output comparable current (1.949mA) and there is no improvement in distortion. In general frequency range, the opamp-based ccs has slightly lower noise. At 2kH and above the opamp wins very slightly. At bass frequency, the led-based wins. I think I prefer the led-based, unless I can tweak the opamp ccs to perform well at bass frequency.

Attachments

• CCS3.PNG
    CCS3.PNG
    11.2 KB · Views: 397
I just quickly simulated Quanghao ccs using LT opamp as shown in attachment. I tweak one resistor to output comparable current (1.949mA) and there is no improvement in distortion. In general frequency range, the opamp-based ccs has slightly lower noise. At 2kH and above the opamp wins very slightly. At bass frequency, the led-based wins. I think I prefer the led-based, unless I can tweak the opamp ccs to perform well at bass frequency.

yes, i need for bass this amli!

you can test this
thanks

Attachments

• Circuit-new-CCS-.jpg
    Circuit-new-CCS-.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 363
What I mean is:

With all component values already decided, and low power transistor (e.g. TO-92) used as VAS/driver. You can change the front-end CCS to give variable current.

The higher the ccs current, the more heat VAS transistors have to dissipate. If you change the VAS transistor with bigger ones, most parameters will also be altered. It means that by changing the ccs current to certain high value, you will have to redesign your VAS and everything.

And with the same topology, I doubt you can benefit from very high current input stage (such as 14mA), but you can try. I was limited to MPSA92, 2N5401, BD139, BF470 and MJE340 for the VAS/driver (I have better parts but without model yet).

this amplifier, may be i can copy?? it is one idea!

Attachments

• Page2.jpg
    Page2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 495
I think balanced operation ensures linearity. So #B or #C, whichever that works.

I'm struggling to find out what will make an amp with good bass performance. From practice, amps with #C have good bass, so may be there is something in it. I'm not there yet.

circuitry post 37 and need a revision number will work fine, I need to do to hear them!
Thanks

An keep Opam CCS for this amli

OPAM 637 is very popular with the OPA structure is simple.
I'm inspired by it and the amplifier circuit diagram has the same structure to create this amplifier 637.
This is the inner structure of OPAM
I tried similar things with the AD797 - go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...screte-clone-comparison-seven-variations.html
From new OP-Amps (e. g. LME series) I don't find the internal topology - go to
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...me49720-lm4562-lm-4562-lme-49710-49720-a.html
and post #26
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/169484-what-wrong-op-amps-3.html
Here is a collection of different CCS.
nice overview.
The associated PSR curvatures I had also seen anywhere here on diyaudio before. Unfortunately I haven't save the file.

Last edited:

Attachments

• LC-Clock X0_schema.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 135
  • LC-Clock X0.jpg
    LC-Clock X0.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 353
  • LC-clockxo.jpg
    LC-clockxo.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.