5 way small midrange ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the new driver (hopefully not sarcastic :eek: ) proposals, but the drivers are set:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

y4mIJJpZ3Jo4lmMLPYf-5owf0bQmDAv_eTonPvyEhTDo-t_BF3iSxNmiRWEQG2hbDLiWITXDVq0I77D-YBkVsR0pvUJAm9m2Z4c__y7-xufjpG7qkBZv8D0nQ6O8NTLw8hWzq-z86QCokEBHxTkElSK05Tn0jIclxeuB20fbePvLkOpcMjHwogDk1xIRd4Z36sd

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

yes they are really good.

the only downside is the Volume they need in reality.
you can't simulate or design a system without buying them.

W12CY001 factory TSP Vb: 3,75L real TSP Vb: 9,6L +256% increase

W22EX001 factory TSP Vb: 55L real TSP Vb:78L +41% increase

I really would liked the idea having the W26EX001 in BR but as the homepage states 88Liter in SBB4.... and when i need to add volume somewhere between 41% and 256%.... so i droped this idea.:yuck:

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Someone told me some of the SEAS drivers with phase plugs couldn't be used in a closed box because air could leak past the phase plug. I never bought any to try; has anyone had this "air leak" happen with SEAS? Ages ago; most of my designs were large bass reflex with low tuning. These days; I mostly do closed box or closed box with Aperiodic vent. I no longer have a very large listening space so larger boxes are not practical. I would still do it for others though. A very well designed bass reflex does not have all the negative problems many people report and so therefore avoid. Like everything else; if it's done properly; BR can be a very good sounding solution (NO boominess, vent noises, bloated, muddy or any other undesirable effects). It's a shame when the OEM TSPs are way off; that's why it's always good to have 3rd party testing and reviews.

I’ve used W16NX in a 5L sealed box. There seems to be some air leakage past the phase plug detectable at large cone excursions (some audible chuffing). I found this when using large amplitude LF test tones, I haven’t detected anything obvious under normal music listening conditions.

Andrew.

I’ve used W16NX in a 5L sealed box. There seems to be some air leakage past the phase plug detectable at large cone excursions (some audible chuffing). I found this when using large amplitude LF test tones, I haven’t detected anything obvious under normal music listening conditions.

Andrew.
Thanks for the info. I've always wondered about the effect of the air gap between the coil former and the pole (piece) in a dustcap-less. driver.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Interesting observation. I was just thinking about whether those things are what oldspkrguy's acquaintance was talking about.

It may be true that the box makes a contribution and the driver stops moving (much) in one band of frequencies, but at that time the cone is holding back considerable out of phase energy.

Thanks for the new driver (hopefully not sarcastic :eek: ) proposals, but the drivers are set:

Looks great Richard, congratulations!
Sorry I havn't read the whole thread, but just wondering if you compared the Seas mids with The BMS 5 inch which are designed for small sealed box (5 to 11 litres)?
http://www.bmsspeakers.com/fileadmin/bms-data/product_data_2012/bms_5s117_t_data_2012-01.pdf

Even at 110dB SPL @ 1 meter 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion is -40dB to -45dB over the 300Hz to 2,000 Hz band.

Thanks and happy New Year to all.
A.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
At and near the tuning frequency, the BR is supposed to have less cone movement and the majority of the output is at the port...At least, in a classic BR design that is one of the advantages. Of course, below that; the cone can EASILY get out of control so it always best to have an electronic/active HP to prevent over excursion. My old amps and receivers usually had a "rumble" filter especially designed for warped LP records. This was typically a 2nd order or higher order HP active filter below 20 Hz. My new Yamaha integrated has a phono input but no "infra-sonic" filter. Luckily, my subwoofer plate amp DOES have one; it is at 12 Hz and is 4th order fixed (can not be defeated).

Anyway; I think the idea here is that the BR port relieves some back pressure on the driver cone even above the tuning freq. so any phase plug or other VC "front facing vent" is less obtrusive than that of a closed box. I never proved it or tried to measure it; just passing along info from a reliable source...

Anyway; I think the idea here is that the BR port relieves some back pressure on the driver cone

I don't think that's how it works. Remember, the port works because there is an air mass in the port with very real inertia. Think of it as solid thing with real mass, which of course is why you can use a passive radiator instead. So, we have this solid mass "moving" back and forth very quickly in the port such that it imparts pressure to the box every bit as much as we know the speaker cone itself does. When both the speaker diaphragm and air mass move inward (in phase) we have a pressure spike within the box. How much is exactly proportional to the SPL created. Higher SPL=higher internal box pressure, whether or not the box is sealed or ported. Given the ported box has higher SPL in the passband concerned, it must also have a higher box pressure. My .02 anyway.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That's the problem with 'reliable sources' ;)

The fact that the cone is being supplied with a signal but is hardly moving just goes to show that it is up against considerable pressure. Pressure that will take advantage of a leak like that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.