5 way horn speaker system project - tapped, bass, mids and tweeter passive active

Google iNuke fan mods. These are popular sub drivers with the HT crowd and there have been many mods some IIRC with drop in replacements.

Thanks Brett.
There's a ton of stuff about changing the fan for quieter ones, less about thermal reg with a thermister.
In my system due to the tapped horns / drivers being 105dB/W, there's not a lot of watts going in - she's just ticking over.
I ran it for hours several times with the fan off and never had any issues and the case / top stayed cool to touch - did not take an internal temp reading though...

With the fan as I have it now there is airflow out the front but its not blowing a gale like before and giving about 20% of the noise.

I'll have more of a read...

Last edited:
I've been busy in the workshop, mostly making things for other people:)

Here's a pic of testing the Tractrix 400Hz horns in place of my 550s.

Screenshot_20231018_154630_com.google.android.apps.docs~2.jpg

I made throat adapter from 2" to 1.5" so they could be used on S2's etc.

I've also had some interesting Phillips 1.378" compression drivers here. They
sound much like aluminium diaphragm Vitavox S2's. They share the same screw on thread too. Perhaps they were made under licence or by agreement?

Last edited:
400Hz Tractrix and a mid bass itch to scratch

A little update:

I'm a firm fan of the 400Hz Tractrix horn on the Upper mid Vitavox S2 channel...

Also I've been thinking for a while now to try a 12" Eminence Kappa in the Mid bass horns.
I do enjoy the sound of my wide throat short exponential with the excellent JBL 2220's but I have to try 12" and now is the time...

So I will extend the existing horn.
A bit of Hornresp shows that the ideal for the Kappa 12 would be.

Then I modeled the adapter piece I will make to fit the existing horn and lengthen it to the 110cm mark.

I will use segments of 21mm birch ply - same as rest of horns and thanks to Hornresp export I get the cutting guide.

The Kappa's are on order and the rings will be cut and glued tomorrow!

This is how the modded horn will look schematic wise
and the modeled acoustic power.
Looking forward to trying 12" mid bass...

Last edited:
I think you will prefer the 15" despite the sweeter midrange of the 12". One needs a musical driver (not the one you use for subwoofer/tapped basshorn) that does not fall short in lower midbass.

Do you think the Eminence Kappa 12 is not the right driver?
Other horn enthusiasts have used them and like. I've used their 15A and liked it too.
Yeah, It's not as if I'm asking for a lot of extension into midrange.

Always good to get different opinions :)

Food for thought.

A little update:

I'm a firm fan of the 400Hz Tractrix horn on the Upper mid Vitavox S2 channel...

Also I've been thinking for a while now to try a 12" Eminence Kappa in the Mid bass horns.
I do enjoy the sound of my wide throat short exponential with the excellent JBL 2220's but I have to try 12" and now is the time...

So I will extend the existing horn.

Hi Steve,

First, thanks for the work on the adapters that you have done for me. The work has been excellent and I must say I am looking forward to getting your help in the future with the rest of my project.

As I said, had I known what I know now about the level of assistance you could offer me, you would have been my chosen port of call ages ago.

I know it is most unlikely to be of interest but if you are extending the back chamber, would it be possible to even extend it to a 4" throat? In this way you might try the Fane 8M drivers. I have a few here and I can drop these at your place when i come to pick up my adapters and horns soon. Let me know if you are at all interested. I think it is probably too much work though.

Best rgds
Rakesh

What is your current crossover setup? I am thinking about splitting my signal to keep horns for mids and highs analog. I want to listen to a Chet Baker LP with pure analog sounds, but with corrected bass and midbass. I worry about impedance mismatch (so worried).

Last edited:
Hello guys.

I really hate chiming in here with a tangent, but I see folks gathering here have much experience with horns and I'd like to get a couple tips to understand if I should move forward with a horn - never tried them.

I have a Beyma TPL-150H, that has an 80x30 waveguide and will play above 2000 or 2500Hz. I'm wondering if a horn/waveguide for the midrange would be a better idea than a direct radiator, and if so which type of horn. What do you think? It will be used in an active 4-way system.

I'm a bit concerned about center to center distance in the xo region between tweeter and midrange.

Again, sorry for the tangent!