5.1 Volume control with PGA2310

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
RE:

Ok Guys: one could get a 5.1 channel out form a DVD player but how about imroving it, controlling sound of individaul channels with style that could only be done by a 5.1 volume controller and besides this is a forum for D(o) I(t)Y(ourslf) and thats what I want to do. and after that I plan to post PCB layouts on this forum and perhaps subroutines for MCU as well.
As for WM8816 I guess one need operational amplifiers at the input and output, whereas PGAs/CS have buildin OP-Amps.

Re: Re: Recomedation

PMA said:

Exactly. The Wolfson WM8816.

You Czechs are such teases.......

So when are you guys going to start a specific thread(so as not to hijack this one) to discuss -

The nature of the requisite inverting opamp, and what charateristics, both technical and subjective are desirable.

The various opamps you've investigated, both monolithic and discrete.

How the heck does one control the thing?

Yes, I've done a search here and have the PDF.

The only thing I've seen is Sonny's commercial site with a schematic that tells me no more than the PDF, lacks any control specifics, and promises -
This is temporary stuff and will be updated late in february
http://mirand.dk/index.html
Which Febuary?

apologies for the continued hijacking....

Re: Re: Re: Recomedation

pmkap said:

So when are you guys going to start a specific thread(so as not to hijack this one) to discuss -

This is probably your problem, not ours. The recommendation of Wolfson WM8816 is simply based on a comparison of 2 here developed preamps (by the same designer) with 2 circuits - 1st with PGA2310 and the 2nd with WM8816.

Re: Re: Re: Recomedation

pmkap said:

The nature of the requisite inverting opamp, and what charateristics, both technical and subjective are desirable.

The various opamps you've investigated, both monolithic and discrete.

How the heck does one control the thing?

Yes, I've done a search here and have the PDF.

The only thing I've seen is Sonny's commercial site with a schematic that tells me no more than the PDF, lacks any control specifics, and promises -
This is temporary stuff and will be updated late in february
http://mirand.dk/index.html
Which Febuary?

apologies for the continued hijacking....

mmh actually, yes my website needs some updates.

First of all. If you have made the software to a PGA or WM it is no problem to change the software for the other controller.

My problem has been time.

But i actually got an order for a SACD compatible preamp. And also a 6 channel amp. So within a month or so, i will start designing the PCB for the control front and mainboard with all the analog parts.

Re: Multichannel PGA2310 preamp project

PWatts said:
Hey guys,

Oh well, that's the basic idea. I will post further possibilites, schematics, layouts, photos, C programming code and programming advice if there is genuine interest and people are willing to help out and not just leach info.

Pierre

Hi Pierre

I'm certainly interested in the multichannel preamp project. Mark Henessey's project looks interesting, but perhaps a bit complex for my needs.

Anyhow, I'm offering some time, and some cash in the form of prototyping boards and buying some components to move this to a complete design.

Contact me at vbtechie AT ananzi DOT co DOT za

Regards
Ken

My project:)
12xPGA2310 and PIC16F877

Attachments

• DSC_0226.jpg
    DSC_0226.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0227.jpg
    DSC_0227.jpg
    838.2 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_0228.jpg
    DSC_0228.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0229.jpg
    DSC_0229.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Excellent job SVON !

I'm using the PGA for a "digitally controlled" stereo preamp (still under construction, equipped also with an electronic crossover) using an ATMega16 as "CPU" and an optic encoder (2 bit Grey) as volume control.
With the integrated switch of the encoder I control also the balance by driving the 2 channels individually.
I'm not using a LCD display to show the "dB level" of the volume but 3 nixies and a ring of 16 LEDs around the volume control as volume scale.

Regards,

Roberto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.