• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

4P1L DHT Line Stage

Got the 4P1L "Siberian" preamp hooked in my 45 SE. Of course as expected something always goes wrong and I damage the Salas HV shunt regulator so had to remove it and power the pre-amp with the raw supply. Not ideal, but it's well filtered though. Will need to repair the Salas shunt regulator now.

The sad thing is that I can't do a side by side comparison against the 26, but let me tell you my first impressions of this preamp:

1) Ringing is not audible at all. With no signal I tap the table where the preamp sits and nothing. You need to tap the valves hardly enough to get them ringing. In my opinion, this has no contribution to my preamp performance or at least I can't notice it whilst listening to music.

2) Sound is really nice. Exceeded my expectations coming from a 26 preamp!. It has significantly more gain (Av=9). Played "Sonny Rollins' Way Out West" which has a lot of dynamics and superb bass phrases. Also played "Schumann's string quartets" which gave me the opportunity to appreciate the preamp in more detail. Overall the clarity is really good, great bass and warm tone.

3) Noise floor is very good, bearing in mind that the salas shunt regulator is not present. The 50 and 100Hz harmonics are below -100dB when the filament boards are running without HT applied. thanks to Rod Coleman's regulators! With HT noise comes up to over -90dB, which is not that bad :D

The quiescent point still is Ia=20mA and Va=91V. The THD is about 0.04% - fantastic if you compared to the rest of the DHTs I have been trying. You could get better THD if you run the 4P1L hotter!

Still need to play around to find the sweet spot of this preamp....

Now back to the workshop to fix the Salas Shunt Regulator and do the belated side by side test with the 26

Attachments

• The Siberian 4P1L first test.jpg
    The Siberian 4P1L first test.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,494
Have been running for 30 min or so. Now playing Beethoven's violin sonatas. It's getting better now! Any idea of any burn in time for these valves?

They don't glow too much, especially if you run them at low filament current like in this case. A dim glow from the filaments. See attached

Attachments

• 4P1L Siberian 2.jpg
    4P1L Siberian 2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,343
  • 4P1L Siberian 3.jpg
    4P1L Siberian 3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,293
THD response and updated schematic attached.

Looking at increasing the value of R3 to improve the gyrator frequency response. Haven't updated the LTspice simulations, but before doing so, any recommendations around the practical value of this resistor? 1M or even higher? I've seen this to be around 4M7, but then Rod recommended a lower value. Bearing in mind the capacitor is already 1uF ;)

Thanks for the help
Ale

Attachments

• 4P1L stereo @20mA Va=91V.png
    4P1L stereo @20mA Va=91V.png
    47 KB · Views: 1,328
  • 4P1L Siberian DHT Preamp.png
    4P1L Siberian DHT Preamp.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,434
Ale, is this still with the dn2540 gyrator plate load? What psu filtering are you using at the moment?

Iko,
Yes. Gyrator loaded. See previous post. Added a 2uF capacitor on the preamp chassis. Blew up the salas HT shunt regulator so I'm using the HT raw supply. Is a CLCL stage using a hybrid AZ1 rectifier.
See attached

Attachments

• 26 HT raw supply.jpg
    26 HT raw supply.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1,161
THD response and updated schematic attached.

Looking at increasing the value of R3 to improve the gyrator frequency response. Haven't updated the LTspice simulations, but before doing so, any recommendations around the practical value of this resistor? 1M or even higher? I've seen this to be around 4M7, but then Rod recommended a lower value. Bearing in mind the capacitor is already 1uF ;)

Thanks for the help
Ale

Amazing FFT, is this without the Salas? Espect the 60hz hump will go away with the salas or is this a groundloop. You mentioned measuring without the B+ only the coleman supplies, can you post this FFT ?

Awesom job BTW, it sounds like the cord you found for suspension is doing the job. Only thing is you said average gain of 9, I thought that with a ccs/gyrator this tube should be close to a mu of 15 ?

Hi Regal,
Doesn't seem to be a ground loop to me. I need to turn the volume up really high to listen to the hum. See attached the filament noise FFT - highly recommend Rod Coleman's supply boards!

The suspension seems to do the job BTW. Gain is 9, where did you get that the mu=15 triode strapped? As I didn't have the data at hand, I had to trace the curves. See attached....

This is a fantastic pre-amp, just bear in mind it costs! Really happy so far!!!

Attachments

• 4PL1 triode strapped.jpg
    4PL1 triode strapped.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 1,166
  • filament noise.png
    filament noise.png
    46 KB · Views: 1,090
You are right I was thinking of a different tube, the file trace I downloaded from somewhere shows a gain of 8.

For a headamp the 60hz bump at 90 may be an issue with these sensitive headphones, but I doubt it.

What was your output Vrms with the previous FFT? The complete absense of anything above 2H is really cool.

I guess I need to let you get back to restoring that Salas reg, if its any help I've found that the MJE350 is the one that usually goes (but I have protection diodes on the mofsets.)

Input signal was 1Vrms and output 9Vrmsvc;)
haven't tried it yet with my GRADO headphones. A lot of work this weekend so far, so will leave the Salas regulator for next one. So far so good

Given the cost of this preamp, it blew me out so far. I started playing with a breadboard using Thomas Mayer's aluminum rails, but liked its look when it evolves.

It has a minimalist look, very simple. Have shielded all connectors so left it without fitting it inside a proper aluminum box. So far so good

I'm a happy man :)