$485 volume control knob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Skinnyboy, be VERY careful! The direction in which the know was turned on the lathe is critical. If you do not have them mirror-imaged between the two channels, the soundstage will be ruined, the rhythm and pace will be horribly distorted, and life on Earth as we know it can come to a crashing halt.

SY said:
Skinnyboy, be VERY careful! The direction in which the know was turned on the lathe is critical. If you do not have them mirror-imaged between the two channels, the soundstage will be ruined, the rhythm and pace will be horribly distorted, and life on Earth as we know it can come to a crashing halt.

Couterclockwise from bottom of knob to top only AND BE SURE to coat your entire lathe with C37 first or all your effort will be wasted. Also note for optimal results the lathe should be aligned with the earth's magnetic field.

No SY, I have a spy on the inside who tells me that they are very careful about matching each stereo pair.

In fact, a little flipping bird told me that they use the Haas VF-1 machining center to make the lathe bits accurate to .0001" and then use the bits in a Toolmex TMX-18MN cnc lathe. The wood is grown in a batch forest quantities under strict hydroponic procedures in custom hot-house towers. The wood DNA is a closely guarded secret formulation created by an ex-Monsanto researcher and the actual machine work is done by a small group downsized by a defunct Martin-Marietta division.

The cost of manufacture justifies the retail price.

:)ensen.

xocoatl said:
Hey?!
What's wrong with that country?! They have to write on the McDonald's coffee cup that the content is hot, while people are selling these things!? Somebody should call prosecutors, feds, etc.

That one turns out not being an urban legend. BTW I noticed these guys also sell Bybee but I was a good boy and did my homework and found that 'we have all been there before'.

Illusus said:
In the third picture down (in the enjothemusic review) the rotary switch on the right is mounted crooked, and the wires run all "willy-nilly" ... if they put all this effort into their product couldn't they at least take the time to assemble it with more care?

I can't believe they actually show this on their website as if it's something worth showing off.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Illusus said:
In the third picture down (in the enjothemusic review) the rotary switch on the right is mounted crooked, and the wires run all "willy-nilly" ... if they put all this effort into their product couldn't they at least take the time to assemble it with more care?

Theory 1:

If they did, they'd have to charge $10,000 or $15,000 instead of $6800.
:rolleyes:

Theory 2:

The arrangement of wires is carefully designed to prevent cross-modulation and unmusicality. If it was all straight and nice looking you'd only have to pay $350.

Hey sorry I haven't replied yet, I worked nearly 12 hours today!

Ok yeah.. I admit I was wrong then, I see I totally misunderstood your post, WorkingAthome. I definetly thought you were angry with my choise of humour cuz sometimes it can be a bit unorthodox and I have gotten bad reactions on a few occasions, which is what I thought your post was. I guess I do need thicker skin :)

I apologize for my assinine behaviour, Variac and especially WorkingAthome. And you don't really need to apologize--I definetly jumped ahead of the horse on that one--but I respect that you did. You're obviously not stupid nor grumpy.

Sardonx <<< total ***

p.s but if you still do try my genius idea of listening to the AC line, just make sure to report your findings back to DIYaudio!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well this brings a tear to my eye :bawling:
The reason I spotted the misunderstanding is that my humor is also
a bit unorthodox, and I'm used to people not "getting it" Sometimes when they do and respond in kind, I don't "get it" and I respond defensively-it's especially easy to do on the web-we use those idiotic smilies for a reason! So.... it takes one to know one ;)

So let's continue on with the subject at hand- making fun of "the knob!":eek: :devilr:

merlinx76 said:
Going along with their theory about the vibrations of the knob intrucing distortion into the signal, wouldn't it be better to leave the control the way it is with no knob on it at all and then it should vibrate less?

But I guess then the magic varnish doesn't get to do it's thing.

Yeah the sad thing is that for the "best" sound you wouldnt have any sort of volume control at all...

This is the kinda stuff that ticks me off with the audio world, it doesnt really happen with computers or TVs as much. Other than the usual overpriced cables, theres no mahogany TV knobs that will make your TV look better :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jennice said:
Let's all pause and think about this for a second. All of you who might have incorrect polarity on your AC outlet, please raise your hand. ;)

Back when the made plugs that would go in either way -- back in the late '70s when i worked at the hifi store -- we did test this. There was a difference. This might only be true in NA on 115V where the AC has a hot & a neutral.

dave

Planet10,

Here in Denmark, the usual class II appliance like a CD player or amp is not earthed these days (then again, that'd the point of class II equipment, to have sufficiently safe insulation barrier between live parts and accessible or low power parts, to NOT need the grounding pin on the mains plug).

What startled me on their web site was their choice of words.

I thought that people with the insight to justify using advanced quantum physics for a mains filter would be intelligent enough to know that there is no such thing as "polarity" when talking about AC mains supply. It would be a phase (relative to the other connected equipment), or a potential. Telling the polarity of an AC outlet, in my point of view, is like asking you to mark the two holes with a "+" and a "-".

Unless, of course, americans put a different meaning into the word "polarity" than a danish guy would do.

Jennice

This might only be true in NA on 115V where the AC has a hot & a neutral.

True in Europe as well. You get 230 V in the hot whereas the neutral hasn't much more voltage than the ground. Just hit me. I knew that as a kid. Not that I knew what it meant. I only knew that one you could hold and the other wasn't as comfortable.

I guess the only reason we don't hear about it is that nobody has figured out a way to make money from it. And I don't mean that in a negative sense. Money fuels innovation. But there's a difference between innovation and a wooden knob.

I meant to include this: In the US, there are two hots (2 phase) and a neutral from the power company. These are split in the circuit panel to 120-neutral-120. The Ground and Neutral are typically bonded at the main circuit panel. The 120-s can be bridged to for a 240 circuit for large appliances.

It is possible (depending on how the house is wired) to have 2 adjacent outlets 180 of of phase, but they will have the same ground and neutral.

-b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.