$485 volume control knob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Going along with their theory about the vibrations of the knob intrucing distortion into the signal, wouldn't it be better to leave the control the way it is with no knob on it at all and then it should vibrate less?

But I guess then the magic varnish doesn't get to do it's thing.

My company will be called Superacoustic Audiophile Apparel (SAA) and I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I have those T-shirts available. They will be only be available in pink as it is obvious that pink sounds far better.

Re: Volume control

dmfraser said:
The volume control the knob goes on is a stepped transformer! My experience is that a transformer in the audio path would generate a lot more artifacts in the sound than a volume control. Specially down at low levels where the transformer core is non-linear. But then, maybe this is introducing the sort of distortions that made tube amps sound like they do. A sound some people prefer.

I get the feeling that these folks are just adapting a 70V line, transformer based stepped attenuator. The sort that PA system companies sell for $9.00.

However, in a free market economy, if you and another person agree on a price for something and an exchange occurs, its supposed to be a win-win situation. So if they can extract these sorts of prices from people for this, specially playing recordings that have been A to D'd and back again a whole pile of times in the recording process, then the more power to them. The fact these people appear to be able to stay in business means there are some people out there with too much money.

Hey Mr. Pontificate, what do you know about these things, really? And what do you know about Serge and his little operation? What do you mean 70V line transformer? The one I'm looking at and currently listening to:

* is a silver wire wound C-core painstakingly assembled;

* is far more linear, if that's the proper description, than a resistor based unit;

* sounds way better than my non-resistor-based Emm Labs DCC2 pre.

Read Olsher's review for a second opinion.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
merlinx76 said:
My company will be called Superacoustic Audiophile Apparel (SAA) and I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I have those T-shirts available.

I have been doing much research into the field of acoustic influences of t-shirts, and have come to the opinion that the washing instructions label is a fundamental weakness. The fact that it is usually of a cheaper material than the main body of the shirt imposes a major accoustical flaw in the overall listening experience. Now the simple solution would be to remove the label, but this could then lead to expensive lawsuits from customers whose t-shirts have shrunk or run.

However, if some sort of laquer could be used to treat the label....

Yeah...Snake oil and all that... not much left to say about the knob. "there's one born every minute" as 'they'[ say.

Here in Saskatchewan Canada, there is a man that makes clocks out of cow dung. He puts numbers on the ****, coats the leavings with epoxy, then adds a clock mechanism. He was featured on a local television program, his entire income is based on selling ****, and by the looks of his home environment it looks as if he is doing much better than me. Talk about a polishing a turd.

"Hey hon', look at the piece of **** I bought!!"

There's an artist who paints pictures with his own ****. He eats brightly coloured vegetables to vary the colour. "Where there's muck there's brass"

There was a review in Hi-Fi World of the audio autotransformer type volume control, and of course they raved about it.

I thought the interesting thing was when the developer made a stepped attenuator using tantalum film resistors, and found that a carbon pot sounded better.:D

Illusus said:
Yeah...Snake oil and all that... not much left to say about the knob. "there's one born every minute" as 'they'[ say.

Here in Saskatchewan Canada, there is a man that makes clocks out of cow dung. He puts numbers on the ****, coats the leavings with epoxy, then adds a clock mechanism. He was featured on a local television program, his entire income is based on selling ****, and by the looks of his home environment it looks as if he is doing much better than me. Talk about a polishing a turd.

"Hey hon', look at the piece of **** I bought!!"

NICE!! my friend always said you cant polish a turd but i guess you can.. got a link so i can show him ?

Going along with their theory about the vibrations of the knob intrucing distortion into the signal, wouldn't it be better to leave the control the way it is with no knob on it at all and then it should vibrate less?

But I guess then the magic varnish doesn't get to do it's thing.

lol. yeah going along with their theory I'm sure they come to the no-knob conclusion eventually:

Taking the knob off the stereo.. It's brilliance! Why spend $500 on a low resonance knob when you can just take the knob off and have a no resonace knob. In fact, why have a volume control at all? Actually, scrap the whole case and leave just the tranny and the electronics suspended in mid air! In fact while you're at it, why not just scrap the whole thing and stick the primaries straight into your ears! That way you can not only hear the music, but smell it too!

I was going to say that I was thinking of builting my next chassis out out 2-inch cast iron plate to dampen resonance, but then I saw your idea about putting the primaries in my ears. *YOU* are a genius. I'm off to give it a go!

Make it idiot proof, and someone will invent a better idiot.

Ok, WorkingAtHome:

You're either very grumpy or very stupid. Since you obviously missed the intent of the post. So let me clarify.

I never said I didn't have 3/4 inch aluminum slabs in the basement that i plan to use as a faceplace (also to dissapate heat though). But for god's sake, don't tell me that you can justify buying one of those knobs or people who do. If you can, then please say so.

Secondly, if you haven't figured it out by now it's not the resonaces in your electronic equipment that make it sound bad or good, it's your own perception of how your construction and damping implimentations will change the sound. It makes me feel good to use heavy metal for enclosures and I never said that you shouldn't. Do whatever you want. Just don't tell me that buying that $500 wooden knob is a good idea. Which is exactly what my post was about. And exactly what this thread is about. This is DIY and we have the right to talk about how 'affective' or not buying a $500 wooden knob is. About as affective as sticking primaries in your ears. GENIUS. Make your own wodden knob or go to the local cabinet maker and tell him to spin one for 15 bucks.

If anything else is not clean let me know and I'll be glad to explain it.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SardonX did it occur to you that Working At Home was playing along with your little joke? I don't know , but you should be a little more thick skinned yourself if you want to make fun of other's (knob) weaknesses.

We have a policy against calling people stupid- we don't like it.
Please don't do it again...

:cop:
Variac-
DIY Moderator

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I still think you are missing the point- I think that it was to show how people hear an idea and adopt it without thinking- as with the knob. - in this case your purposely silly idea that was obviously meant as a joke, of putting wires in your ears, ----- oh , never mind....

You can call people "very grumpy" however :D

WHile we're at it, commenting on referenceaudiomods' web page contents:
On their mods page, it says (amongst others):
"The power that feeds any digital circuit is absolutely critical! However, before we go any further, we categorically believe no matter how good a power supply is executed, or how extreme the parts quality, this will NEVER be enough!!"

Ok, so if it's never going to be good enough, then why bother with their mod's anyway??? :D

Als, to top off their mod's list, they have a extreme/wild section:
"WILD TWEAKS FOR THE VERY BEST

Of course even after all of this one can always take things much further. Usually, a mod at this level takes a bit of an open mind and some faith in RAM’s ears."

Question: Is this another way of saying, that nobody but the shop can hear the difference? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

That mod shop with the knob has a voltage purifier, which is supposedly based on science down to the spin direction of the electrons.
However, they also write (about correct application/installation):
>>>For best results the recommended procedure is to put a purifier on both the hot and the neutral leg; besides yielding better sound, this will ensure full quantum purification even if the component is connected to an incorrectly wired (out of polarity) AC receptacle.<<<

OK... Let's all pause and think about this for a second. All of you who might have incorrect polarity on your AC outlet, please raise your hand. ;)

The more I read on their web site, the more I can't decide whether to laugh or cry.

Jennice

Ah, yes, I was joking around. My crack about the cast iron was directed toward the description of the knob's abilities, not anyone's construction techniques. In fact, variac, I had to go back a few posts to figure out what you were talking about.

Not sure why the 31st post is suddenly taken seriously after 29 totally sarcastic posts, but whatever. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Complete accident. No hard feeling. Try re-reading my post with slightly different inflection and it might make sense.

-Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.