32 Inch driver dilemma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
No. The intention of the other wall array is to eliminate the wall, not to absorb equal bass.

Yes. The elimination of the wall IS absorption of equal bass. You clearly don't understand interference/cancellation and room modes.

What if there is absorption within the room, what if there is a doorway in the wall?

If there is a doorway, the DBA still perfoms better than any other system because you ofcourse can optimize them to the doorway but then they'll perform a LOT worse everywhere esle in the room.

About 6 15-inch woofers would be equivalent in surface area and would be better in every respect I can think of* except the surface area they would need in the cab (which could be on 5 sides).... and how impressed your friends would be.

Long ago it was often concluded that the optimal large Rice-Kellogg sub driver was like 15 inches, using conventional proportions of design and materials. Maybe a 32-inch driver with a voice coil 12 inches in diameter might make sense, if anybody could build such a thing well.

B.
* my favourite parameter is BL and that looks kind of feeble for a giant cone area; when you buy a car, you consider the engine important

Last edited:
Sounds to me that lots of folks here have never heard a properly set up pair of Electro-Voice Patricians with 30” corner loaded woofers.
:eek:
Yes I have, I think?...there was a place in Beaverton Oregon, circa 1979 called Earthquake Ethel's...as near as I can recall, inside the sound booth were racks of Phase linear series two amps & pre-amps...in the corners of the large dance floors were large round fabric circles, four in each corner...now I didn't inquire as to if those circles were those big Electro-voice drivers that I've seen prior at a big, big raw driver outlet in town...but, it is reasonable.
The establishment was deep into subsonic, Cerwin Vega "Sensurround" type experience. I distinctly remember on the opening sequence, whereby they cranked up the system (but dialed back) for the evening...my drink would vibrate along the table...like those cheap buzzing "football game" metal tables?
I preferred the "competition" not too far distant, a different similar place "The Chase", run by the flamboyant owner "Ken Chase", an old DJ man at the local radio station, KISN..the same man who was the producer of :The Kingsmen who recorded the song " Louie Louie". For a short time I danced for the ladies at that club there...

---------------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

Sounds to me that lots of folks here have never heard a properly set up pair of Electro-Voice Patricians with 30” corner loaded woofers.
:eek:

What seemed like great bass in 1965 wouldn't be seen so today when we can shake our viscera and have real low sources and systems that we can buy at the store (OK, that dates me). Likely loud around 45 Hz. (I wonder if a little AR3 would have better bass.)

And many of us have heard Klipsch horns (from 1940 on) where the acoustic true-horn design makes the Electrovoice seem puny, I think. There's confusion over the design of the Patrician which might have been a K-horn or maybe not later. Very little that EV made would be considered SQ today - my impression. Very unlikely a 30 inch driver was used in a horn - makes no sense.

B.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.