3 way open baffle with Eminence and Skytronic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wasn't sure how far to go with the rebates, but I settled on 9mm in the end, leaving a plywood depth of about 15mm underneath each woofer's edge. The woofers barely protrude. I somehow managed to get left and right looking quite close to each other. There's not much space between those drivers!!!

Attachments

• close.jpg
    close.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 992
gainphile said:
Thanks for those routing tips !!

I never thought one can get away without those jasper jigs.

You're welcome. I know I've posted a lot of piccies, but I always wondered how people were cutting these circles... so when I twigged how to do it I wanted to help others like myself see exactly how to do it, and cheaply!!

No more pictures tonight, that's the lot, I promise! I managed to put in about 7 hours this weekend - it took so long to mark it all out accurately. It was hard because the baffles are a bit narrow and short. There'll be some interesting compromises and workarounds made when it comes to putting the T-nuts in place...

Simon

Excellent progress! You've done a really tidy job with quite basic tools here. I spent a fair bit of time and money building a router circle jig and yours appears to have done an equally good job!

Those drivers are indeed close, must have been a bit nerve racking cutting that with such fine quality ply! Now that it's done you'll get nice close driver spacings though, good for appearance and performance!

Done any testing on the woofers yet? Have you found the Xmax enough and suitably clean?

gainphile said:
I wonder how to cut really small circles like the ones for tweeters ??

I did mine on my last speakers almost exactly as Simon did, and this included a Vifa tweeter with a 104mm rebate diameter and 70-odd mm hole.

I went to Bunnings and bought a pre-machined blank MDF place mat from their craft section, 4mm or so thick, and did just what Simon did EXCEPT that I used a nail with the head cut off as the pivot. Then this is banged in at the centre of the circle, and a hole drilled in the MDF to suit. Then it can be taken off and on the pivot, say, to make a new pivot point in the MDF for a different sized cut on the same centre.

The centre hole in the MDF for the bit to poke out of is about 25mm.

It worked extremely well, and my router is much less flash than Simon's! This was my first ever use of a router.

By the way Simon, great work so far. It machined fine!

Cheers

Stuey

Thanks for the positive comments. It sure was a bit scary going so close to the next driver cutout each time, and I was relieved when left and right matched up closely.

As for woofer testing, all I've done is play them on the floor and crank it up to assess the audible distortion. They do go into distortion quite easily - well before massive excursions really begin. I guess that's what you get for £15 each... the real test is on the baffles with T-bass connected and realistic levels. I can't wait to hear them.

Simon /in sunny Gran Canaria :cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.