3-way active, time aligned, constrained layer construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Staining and clearcoat finished

Put on the last two coats of clear and finally get the chance to stand back and have a look. This is the first chance I had seen the two boxes from a distance. I've included an LP and office chair for scale. The maple stain was chosen to match up with the bricks of my listening room. Tomorrow they get stuffed and drivers installed. My aim is for some sound this weekend. I could not find binding posts that I liked, so I got my local plastics fabricator to shape some 100x100 mm (4"x4") terminal plates and fitted some solid amplifier terminals. This will allow the woofers to be in series, bi-wired, and horizontally or vertically bi-amped. I've got some solid (not hollow extrusion) aluminium spiked stands which add about 50 mm (2") to the overall height. The listening position is close to the mid-range axis. I will put them on the scales when the drivers are all installed.

Attachments

• DSCF1004.jpg
    DSCF1004.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 776
  • DSCF1006.jpg
    DSCF1006.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 758
  • DSCF1012.jpg
    DSCF1012.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 667
why is it reminds me of SNELL? :)
Hi Henry. Which Snell?
how will you tune the xovers?
I will use a a Behringer DCX2496 crossover. I have been using this x-over for a decade now and it does everything I need and much more. Crossover topologies that are available are Butterworth, L-R, Chebychev, Bessel, with x-over slopes of 6, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48 dB/octave. It allows individual adjustment of levels, phase, delay, dynamic limiting, auto align etc. I use an ECM8000 measuring microphone and DSP8024 RTA, to align the drivers for perfect time and phase alignment at the listening position. I don't use the auto align function but old school, reverse phase nulling. I chose the low diffraction shape to allow the mid/tweeter to have the best conditions for the direct arrival sounds to dominate in the x-over set-up. I works very well in previous enclosures.

I would say it's more like an Avalon, Wilson hybrid, with a little bit of Peak consult thrown in(Kind of)..
Zoltan
Actually all of these designs, especially mine, are indebted to Harry Olsen fundamental paper "Direct Radiator Loudspeaker Enclosures". Because I time and phase align my drivers at the listening position, it's important that diffraction effects are minimised which leads to the distinctive shape. It is not for stylistic reasons (actually I do like the shape, but I am biased). For Avalon and Peak-Consult, I'm sure diffraction control is the main purpose of the shape. It's not important at bass frequencies (< 150 Hz) so any shaping of the bass enclosure is not for diffraction reasons.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.