3"or 4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are pricey but they do offer some advantages. Dual opposed 8r vesions can get into mid 30's in a 1.5 cubic foot box. Combined efficiency would allow for crossover with no baffle step. If you are willing to trade ultimate bottom end for slower rolloff, then you can go even smaller on the box. Havent really seen anything else out there that can compare in this price range, but I am open for suggestions. If the C quenze woofer/ TL Labs tweeter combo doesnt work, I will probably be looking for some eNabled 7.3's. Not sure if I should wait for the 8's or not.

What part of

400570d1392712461-3-4-driver-very-good-dispersion-high-xmax-alpair7g3-fr-offaxis-0611sm.png

Shows that they don't?

The Mark Audio curves show very high and quite smooth directivity accross the spectrum. Markus curves show very little directivity below 10kHz.

4" driver cannot have the directivity Mark Audio curves are showing.

So you really want to be 15 deg off axis when listening to these otherwise you get a 10 to 15 dB peaks at 10 and 14 kHz? Probably just sounds more "airy" on axis but not a big deal.

No. If you do that you'll get too much variance within the listening window. You want to (heavily) EQ the 0° axis of this driver. This should somewhat alleviate the 10kHz power response problem.

Last edited:
Markus,
You have yet to show us a setup that achieves your intended goals. You can EQ anything flat, but i have found it can have a very detrimental effect on the sound, limiting overall quality and presentation. The simple truth is, you dont listen with a computer, you listen with your ears, and while data can be extremely helpful in explaining what we hear, it has still not proven to be a sure fire way to create something others enjoy. IF you are looking for something that will pass the 100 point check list of the ideal speaker, then i think you are in for a disappointment. Make your choices and then live with the compromises that you have to make to get them. The 7.3 has some issues, but they can be easily solved and you have a wonderful "sounding" system. You may not hink so if you watch a graph the whole time, but if you just listen, its nice. Take the 7.3, cross it to a RAAL 70-10 in the 3-4K range, add a nice sub and away you go. The Alpair can keep up with the Raal all day long and provide the same level of detail, so it should be a good match.

I have a program called REW that works within mini DSP. You can take an in room measurement of your setup and it will automatically correct for any issues. This info can be fed to the DSP which will create whatever EQ is necessary to achieve the intended flat response. A simpler way to look at fo rme is this. If a driver has a dip in its response, like the 7.3@1.5K, you can notch or EQ that dip out and it will measure flat. IT would seem to be an open and closed issue. but if you consider that the dip is a natural response of that driver, any action taken to alter that response will ultimately effect the overall reponse of that driver as now you are asking it to do something that it does not do naturally. You could EQ the 7.3 flat to 40Hz and the driver will do what is asked, that is until it shoots its cone out onto the floor.

I have a program called REW that works within mini DSP. You can take an in room measurement of your setup and it will automatically correct for any issues. This info can be fed to the DSP which will create whatever EQ is necessary to achieve the intended flat response. A simpler way to look at fo rme is this. If a driver has a dip in its response, like the 7.3@1.5K, you can notch or EQ that dip out and it will measure flat. IT would seem to be an open and closed issue. but if you consider that the dip is a natural response of that driver, any action taken to alter that response will ultimately effect the overall reponse of that driver as now you are asking it to do something that it does not do naturally. You could EQ the 7.3 flat to 40Hz and the driver will do what is asked, that is until it shoots its cone out onto the floor.

You've equalized the steady-state (?) in-room response not just the speaker/driver.

That's not the type of equalization I'm talking about. You would need to do free field measurements of the speaker/driver on and off axis. Then look at the data if the response can be equalized in a spatially robust manner.

The drivers were tested individually. The crossover was then created and the total system was measured. I then played with the response to correct for abnormalities. Read Jeff Bagby's article on the Kairos kit. In it he specifically mentions a crossover attempt that looked good on paper but did not pass the listening test. I am just trying to convey to you that numbers and grahs simply do not paint the full picture. Jeff is very much into measurement systems, but clearly his ears are his final test.

The drivers were tested individually. The crossover was then created and the total system was measured. I then played with the response to correct for abnormalities. Read Jeff Bagby's article on the Kairos kit. In it he specifically mentions a crossover attempt that looked good on paper but did not pass the listening test. I am just trying to convey to you that numbers and grahs simply do not paint the full picture. Jeff is very much into measurement systems, but clearly his ears are his final test.

Why is this now about Jeff Bagby and Kairos kit??

You've said, "You can EQ anything flat, but i have found it can have a very detrimental effect on the sound".

Of course if you simply equalize the steady-state response at a single measurement point then you will most likely end up with something that doesn't sound good. Such an approach completely ignores the fact that our hearing responds to events in time and space. Hearing is not just a simple FFT.

Here's a good read: http://www.dirac.se/media/12044/on_room_correction.pdf

So back to the Alpair. It can be equalized and this will make it sound much better. Try it.

Not everything that can be measured can be heard but make no mistake, everything that can be heard can be measured.

Last edited:
The comment about Jeff was to make the point that measurements can never be the final step, listening has to be. If I have to go to so much trouble to alter the sound of a driver, perhaps that driver is not for me. I think to much EQ is audible and I can't prove it. No you cannot measure everything and if you could, you still have not made the correlation to what sounds good. This doesn't even take into account the individual listener. I love engineering and scientific discovery in general but I never cease to be amazed at the misguided arrogance of those who think they can explain everything and have all the answers. It's just not that simple and all the graphs in the world will not make someone like something. You could take the flagship model from Gedlee and put it against a similar off the shelf monitor and you would be surprised at the difference in preference if you conducted a blind test. Are you going to tell the folks that chose something other than Han the Summa that they are simply wrong in their preference. It would be interested to see if you could hear the difference in an EQued Alpair and a non EQued version

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The simple truth is, you dont listen with a computer, you listen with your ears, and while data can be extremely helpful in explaining what we hear, it has still not proven to be a sure fire way to create something others enjoy.

+1

With even the very best speakers achieving maybe 10% of what is needed to be perfect, one can have 2 completely different speakers tht are perfectly valid. One has to choose based on their preferences.

Truth is, A7 does some things that few others achieve at any price, and when price is factored in, it is outstanding.

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.