• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

2nd Annual Cardas Bulk Purchase

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alrighty then!

Received my Cardas parts yesterday. I fully expected the binding posts to be sturdy but these are really bombproof!

Spent 15 minutes looking at the spades, still haven't figured out how to mount these. I think crimping is indeed the way to go, there's no way my 20watt soldering iron is up to this job.

Many thanks Rodd!!!

Greetings,

Jarno.

A funny experience.....

I bought 2 pairs of the long bindingposts, rhodium over silver.

When Rodd sent me the pricelist I had never seen the cardas products before (or had not paid attention), but I thought at the price they were offered at the group buy, I wouldnt bother machining some myself...and then there was the plating as well , I looked at the pics at the cardas homepage and chose what seemed good.

I got the bindingposts a couple of days ago, and was impressed by the generally good quality.

So I sat there in front of the computer, I did a search for spades to match the bindingposts, just to see what pricerange the spades from cardas were, and see if it would pay off to machine some myself. The was the pricelist :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

75 USD a pair for the bindingposts I bought here through Rodd....damn, now I understand why people keep on talking about those....looong time after they have bought them.

Thats 300USD for amp and speakers:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Great group buy :)

Magura:)

Thanks for a great group buy!

Got some of the Copper binding posts. Is there anything that can be used to coat these to slow down corrosion? I have some Pro Gold but didn't know if something else worked better.

Also, when soldering the 'ground' to the female chassis mount RCA's, do you just put the wire in the flange slot(looks like a spanner slot) and use high temp to heat the flange?

Thanks, and yes this is the first time I've had "quality" parts like this to sling solder on.

ScottW

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
scottw said:
Thanks for a great group buy!

Got some of the Copper binding posts. Is there anything that can be used to coat these to slow down corrosion? I have some Pro Gold but didn't know if something else worked better.
Check the first 5 pages of this thread.
scottw said:
Also, when soldering the 'ground' to the female chassis mount RCA's, do you just put the wire in the flange slot(looks like a spanner slot) and use high temp to heat the flange?
Yes.

Re: A Couple Clarifications From Cardas

Here are a couple of clarifications on some of the Cardas parts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the CFTAs to replace a supply of Tiffany RCA female sockets I have been using.

They seem to be reasonable quality but nothing to write home about compared to good quality commercial parts, especially ones that can be bought cheaply in Hong Kong. Compared to Maplin parts in the UK, the plating is probably superior.

I think I shall stick to premium Cardas parts in future.

What is the correct way of tughtly mounting RCA jacks without hex nuts on the protruding section? Up to now I have used mole grips, separated by tape on quality boxes and just on bare metal for uncritical cosmetic duty.
:smash:

Magura said:
The mech. quality of rca's and bindingposts is fair on most, even the cheaper ones. The big deal is actually the plating. For the plating to be adequately well adhered and resonably low porousity, it takes you are willing to pay for good quality control.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree. On this count, WBT premium RCAs have poor palting on some samples. this is consistent over a long period of experience.

I mentioned this to the German designer, Dr --- , at a hifi show and he just looked at me and never even answered. Such Arrogance!!

:hot:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.