2N3055 inside - commercial famous amplifier models, quasi complementary power output

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi platefire,
Measure the original transistors using the diode test feature on your meter. Determine first if they are PNP or NPN. Then look at the emitter-base voltage drop and let us know what that is. We should confirm exactly what we are working with here.

-Chris

Found a closer schematic the Hohner 1040 with uses m18-325 outputs. Still no luck getting a clean sound out of it. Can't find the m18-325's either. Hate to give up on this one but have 40 customers in line and have to move on. Must be Germanium transistors. Anybody have any ideas?
Platefire

As stated many times before, those are SILICON transistors, and humble 2N3055 should work very well there.

The 1040 schematic provides bias adjustment from 0V>~1V and on the schematic 0.7V bias is clearly written both for the upper and the lower transistor.
The fine tuning is implied in "25mV across emitter resistors".

It confirms Silicon, neither Germanium nor Darlingtons.

So if with fresh and properly biased 2N3055 or MJ1502x there, the amp still does not work, then I guess "there still are some other unresolved problems there".

As a starter, check collector, base and emitter voltages at earlier stages, referred to ground, and all B-E voltages too.

The schematic is chock full of voltages.

Last edited:
The m18 numbers are most likely "house" numbers not actual part numbers. You stated previously that the bias adjust only went from .2-.6 volts. This tells me the resistors in the bias string are suspect. The 1040 schematic values equate to a bias range of 0-1volt with a minimum 14mA through the bias string. Some real measurements and parts values are needed from you before anyone can actually help more than just throwing guesses around.

This is a hohner ca12r , not a hohner 1040. It's the closest print I can find. This could be why the bias is not as high enough. I see no other issues with the drive it's just low. I would really like to get this resolved but have so many other customers this time of year.
Platefire.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi platefire,
Yes, you could be trying to fix a non-problem. If this was a Yamaha, the bias would be high enough to make clean sound. This amp may be set lower if it was designed to have a "dirtier" sound character. Only your customer knows for certain.

So, how does it sound?

-Chris

No it's really bad. it sounds like it has an open emitter resistor. It sounded best back when I had the McIntosh 32-070012 outputs where it sounded fine until I turned up the sound past 1 then it sounded like an open emitter resistor type sound again.
Platefire.
You can not state such things just by ear, please post some scope waveform pictures.

As of Hohner models, most are basically the same, specially the power amp.

Armed with one schematic (any of the variations), compare it to the PCB and pencil differences, which are minor, then post the corrected schematic.

Parts numbers may differ, so correct those too.

Without that, we are trying to hit a very small piñata, blindfolded of course.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi platefire,
Really just want to know if anyone has any m18-320 transistors
I'm sorry, but I don't. But look at this from a component standpoint. Those will not be special transistors, they come from a common transistor number that have been remarked for the manufacturer. These could be special in ways that would not make this difference. They can run special transistors that were picked for high Hfe, high breakdown voltage or other factors. Things that would not cause the 2N3055 to not function. They might act poorly at higher currents, but not to the extent you are describing. I think you are chasing the wrong problem.

You have normal junction voltage drops. So at this point, assume you have not replaced or tested anything. Really, go blank. Approach this amplifier and make a list of the things you actually observe. No conclusions allowed, direct observation only. Don't replace anything until you have a set of observations you know to be true.

Nothing will make a good technician stuck better than a false assumption. This exercise will get you out of trouble if you follow it properly. I strongly suggest that if other normal TO-3 NPN silicon transistors don't work, but the originals do, then something has been overlooked or an assumption is incorrect.

-Chris
Edit: Is it possible those transistors have a built in flyback diode? You can check this by tacking in reverse biased diodes from the emitter to collector on both parts.

Last edited: