• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

#26 pre amp

I ask because I'm not happy with my 26 sound, I'm using resistor filament bias & 1660 OPT with SSHV2 & Rod Coleman heaters.

How "not happy" are you? That's a good and well tested combination - 26 into LL1660 in filament bias. It shouldn't underperform unless there's something wrong with the build. And it depends what you're driving.

I think you can go better. I've built several DHT line stages and my current favourite is Ale's 01A Gen 2 preamp. This is the best I've ever heard, and if there's anything wrong with that design it's going to be the build or what it's driving.

I would recommend you buy a Gyrator off Ale (Bartola Valves), and use it with something like a teflon FT-3 output cap. It will work with either a 26 or a 01A. It even works with a 4P1L at 25mA. It won't be hugely better than the 26 into LL1660 but it could be audibly better if you are a very critical listener.

One other thing I should say is that if you're not happy with filament bias, improve the filament supply. That is definitely audible. I only use choke input supplies because I can hear a difference in smoothness. You want something like a Hammond 159ZC. You might get away with a 159ZA if you starve the filaments down to 850mA or so. But go choke input for sure. Same with the 01A Gen 2 preamp. The 159ZA works for that as well.

A choke input filament supply will do you more good than playing about with battery bias, in my opinion. Do it on your 26 preamp and see how it sounds.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
These?

Attachments

• WP_20161127_001[1].jpg
    WP_20161127_001[1].jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 308

Yes, exactly those. Use a BF862. They're surface mount but if you're careful you can solder them under a magnifying glass with a fine tip iron.

You need 200nF on the output - that will give you more body than one. Use 2 caps in parallel. I use FT-2, saves space. I use a FT-2 100nF cap in the gyrator with the recommended 10Meg resistor. I also tried some Soviet 100nF silver mica caps - square brown ones. They were good but I preferred the teflons. Some prefer the silver micas.

I've also been playing around with filament resistors - currently using some Soviet ones. I posted on this in one of the threads - not sure which, maybe the 01A one.

Last edited: