2015 Burning Amp Festival, Saturday October 17th

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found a spiffy little place in Palo Alto called the Creekside or something like that.

There are two garages I want to see while I'm in town: HP and Steve Jobs's :)
Jobs Garage isn't much to see. No markings, just a standard issue old ranch-style house. In a lower rent district, which in Los Altos means it is worth about US$1.5M. HP garage in Palo Alto is marked, but there parking is really tough in down town PA.

All the REAL historic landmarks in Silicon Valley are gone. The Wagon Wheel was condemned because of termites (or cheating spouses), St. James Infirmary bar burned down in a grease fire (several hours after I staggered home from a sales meeting there) and Ely McFlys, (the bar where all the great Apple products were conceived, and reorgs planned) is now a OutBack Steak House. Sorry, but we do not appreciate our history here. This isn't France.

Loosing WonderWoman and the St. James Infirmary was the hardest....

computer history museum on shoreline and rt 101 is worth going to. used to be where all the cool SGI buildings were (I used to work there). now, the sgi buildings are google buildings and some people like to drive around and see the colorful google places. shoreine park is right there and that's nice and mellow.

intel used to (might still) have a history museum of its own. look it up if its still around.

for DIYers (us, right?) there is techshop. its in redwood city and they will give tours if enough people are there. its nice to see all the heavy machinery that you can get access to if you join (and take classes on). I mostly use laser cutters there, myself.

A lot of the early historic Silicon Valley buildings have been razed to make room for something else - a lot of them were Superfund sites as well, due to rusty/leaking underground tanks for the trichlorethylene and xylene used then in wafer processing (stripping/developing masks?). Most of the buildings where I used to work in the early 80's have been completely built over or turned into weed-infested vacant lots.

When I first started with my current job (20+ years ago), we were across the way from an environmental monitoring firm. One of their big jobs was keeping track of all the groundwater sampling wells used to monitor the extent of the toxic plumes generated by early semiconductor foundries.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned Halted (not Haltek) aka HSC in Santa Clara... lots of good stuff if you're willing to scrounge. Also less than a mile away from the venue is Alan Steel for all your chassis fab needs (only if you're showing up early; closed Sat. & Sun.). Downtown RWC has some decent eats, a movie theater, a few of live music venues (the Fox, the Little Fox, and Anjelica's), and a small live theater (Dragon Theatre). Stop in at the Gourmet Haus Staudt Beer Garden and you might find a prototype of the next gen iPhone lying around...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Keep in mind that the venue in Redwood city is about a half hour from San Francisco. San Francisco- that's a pretty fun spot, or a more accurately, a very pretty spot that's fun. You could stay in SF and take Caltrain, a commuter line, to withing a mile of Burning Amp but that would take more like an hour, but so what? Hang out with your family in "the city" in the evenings. Almost all the restaurants as very good if you avoid the real tourist spots, as the competition is stiff, Check out the web at SFgate.com. Spend Sunday touristing around with the family all day. Don't promise to do anything with them on Saturday!

The VERY Best thing for kids in SF is the EXPLORATORIUM. Look it up. I could spent days there!

That's why all those conventions are in S.F. Everyone wants to go to SF (except linuxworks)

Last edited:
Dennis-

It's been a few years since I've been there but as I recall the Ames visitor center would keep a 6 year old very interested. Farther south, San Jose has some attractions including the tech museum, the rosecrucian Egyptian museum, and the Winchester Mystery house. If nature's your thing, there are trails along the bay and in the hills, and of course beaches on the coast if you're willing to drive a little...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's this year's poster

Attachments

• BAF Poster.jpg
    BAF Poster.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 228
DIY speakers, amp, and some digital?

Hello,

Don't know if this would be of interest or not- how "small" are the rooms? But my "small" floor standers are finished except for some work on the grilles, and there's a CLASS D project nearly done- and my digital setup uses a re-clocking setup with a cobbled up Rubidium oscillator and power supply - does that count as DIY? No DIY preamp, and sorry, but would prefer to stay with my current digital streamer/server and DAC (stuff WORKS!)

IMGP0666_zps84a2a13f.jpg

These are "Ardents", there are about a half dozen pair finished or in construction in various locales in the world; woofers are Wavecor S223BD01, (BD02 in the newest versions); Accuton C79 midrange, and Scanspeak beryllium tweeters. I can do a presentation about the design concepts, too, and bring my own projector to throw on the wall.

Sounds like maybe you already have as much as you need or have room for- just thought I'd check...

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well your system is vital! The presentations are stacking up but you never know, sometimes people will back out. We should certtainly be able to accomodate your system. Honestly we do want more stuff.

I haven't posted about the rooms because we need to measure how many we have of what size! We'll get that done soon at the site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.