2-way with 10" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MJL21193 said:
Hi.
Everyone seems to be focused is on getting the tweeter to go lower. What about using a 10" woofer that has a better freq. response, up to 3000Hz? There are a lot of very good tens out there that will easily hit 3K.

Seriously, what's the off-axis response look like? How about the linear distortion up high? While there may be 10" drivers that will approach 3k, it's with some trade-offs that put you firmly into pro driver territory, and take some serious points away from hi-fi credibility.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
planet10 said:

Please start pointing them out -- don't leave us in suspense :)

dave

tinitus post above shows one, although a bass guitar speaker, it has response up in the 4k region.
Mostly pro-audio 10's from Eminence, B&C and Pioneer will go up to and beyond 3K, with very little compromise in bass response. Also high efficiency in the 95dB+ range.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
joe carrow said:

Seriously, what's the off-axis response look like? How about the linear distortion up high? While there may be 10" drivers that will approach 3k, it's with some trade-offs that put you firmly into pro driver territory, and take some serious points away from hi-fi credibility.

What's the off axis response matter if you point the driver up 45 degrees as originally proposed?
Yes pro drivers.
I, for one, like the midrange from a larger driver. I don't think any hi-fi credibility is given up with a well selected pro driver of better quality.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Given the drver will reach 3K, you don't cross there. Most tweeters will have absolutely no problem crossing at 2.5K, that's where the 10 could be crossed with a steep 3rd order. With so much efficiency, a 3rd order would work well, as it would rob a little to achieve the 18dB drop.

MJL21193 said:

What's the off axis response matter if you point the driver up 45 degrees as originally proposed?
Yes pro drivers.
I, for one, like the midrange from a larger driver. I don't think any hi-fi credibility is given up with a well selected pro driver of better quality.

The off-axis response matters a great deal in this case, because you're listening 45 degrees off axis, unless I'm missing something and the woofer section will more or less put the woofer low enough to be basically on the ground and pointing up at the listening position.

A pro driver does have some advantages, and will excel with certain types of music. It will play with extreme dynamics, and it's the type of speaker used for amplifying most bands in a concert setting. The contribution of the cones will be similar in your home to what they would be out at a concert. If you like rock and hard hitting music, a pro driver is great- just keep in mind that a 10" driver will seriously beam at 3 khz. If your tweeter is in a horn to have a similarly directional signal, then they could mate well- but you'd have a small sweet spot.

just a quick nod to planet10

and scottmoose.

Again I may have glossed over the beginning of the thread, but I do have to say that the A25s are clearly one of my faves of all time--I've had 2 sets. I gave away one set to a friend in need, and kept the other for myself..less than $50 for the 2 pair. Are there better speakers? absolutely. And although technically not very efficient , apparently play louder than measurements might indicate (look at the WAD articles).

Other than migh wife hates the old school look, she loves them to. Not sure if I'd get rid of them under any circumstances now. And I just about got the SO convinced to allow me to put an audio collection in the livingroom (just to shiow off a little)....

And I really don't care what they measure. They produce music in a very enjoyable way--perfect for my wife's old basshead rock:D

and wow, how much stuff gets posted in less than a day...Dave, when do you sleep?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.