• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st Tube Amp - What to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Looks a bit "difficult"...but with the use of ecc81 I understand why it has "power"...I recall ecc81 as a nice smooth and soft "musical" tube in a preamp which was maybe not the most neutral but really euphorically "rocking"...sweet memories :)

Maybe its time fore a ElCheapo "revival"...dont know why I didnt build it when i was "at it", some time ago...I hope you will make a dedicated "ElCheapo-thread" with all relevant information, when you start building ;)

btw, wasnt the 12AQ5 selected at first because the design goal was the ultimate low cost...if we do away with the low cost goal, what would be the best tube to use...EL84 ?

if we do away with the low cost goal, what would be the best tube to use...EL84 ?

Negative! Use current production TungSol "reissue" 6V6s out of Saratov, Russia. Poindexter uses the New Sensor offering in his more upscale and very elegant "Musical Machine".

The EL84 is a fine tube, but members of the 6V6 clan make more linear triodes. Look at 6V6 triode mode plate curves. They are as "beautiful" as the curves of the revered 6SN7. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.