• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st Post (here) : ) My first project: Boozhound Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the Bottlehead s.e.x. amp going for $400-500? It's probably not that bad of a deal when you think about it as a complete amp (makes music and it's in an enclosure).

There are a bunch of kits out there (the s5's kits, k-502, eng vista's kit) and I think they're all around $150. I can only speak for the s5 k-12, it sounds ok stock. So, if you wanna make it sounds better, you'll drop another $100 on it. If you wanna put it in an enclosure, that's more money. Before you know it, you're right around the price of a bottlehead.

There are pros/cons of all the kits. But really, any way you go, you can't go wrong. When it's all said and done you'll have:

1) learned some stuff
2) built an amp
3) maybe started to collect some extra parts for the next one.

Hi,

I'm considering building this amp based on the fact that it contains a lot of parts that I already have. This would be my 4th DIY build, so I'm not a total noob. However, I'm not nearly experienced enough to look at a circuit and say "yes, that will sound right" or "no, that looks terrible." I've read through this entire thread now, and my concern is that no-one has commented on HOW THIS AMP SOUNDS! Well, one person did, but it's unclear whether it's an build problem, speaker matching problem, or other. Could someone please comment on the sound? Please ease my mind - if done right, is this amp worth building and listening to?

Barry

I'm currently listening to a 6V6 se amp with a 6SN7 driver, somewhat different than this amp, as I'm using a C4S to load the 6SN7 and I'm using expensive Magnequest DS-025 iron (4ohm tap connected to 8ohm speakers) with a UL tap, and I'm running the 6V6 UL, with adjustable bias, but it sounds great! I'd recommend this amp, as the 6V6 is a great sounding tube, and the 6SN7 also sounds great, as long as you have enough gain. I've used Edcor OPT in the past and I'm very happy with the sound/price ratio. Also Edcor should be able to supply a power transformer that is affordable that would work with this amp.

If you are new to DIY, I'd recommend getting a tube tester, as lots of problems are caused by bad tubes.

A quality soldering station also helps. I like and use this one.
MPJA - Power Supply, Power Supplies, Security Cameras, LCD, Fans, Etc.

Output transformer

Hello, I will do this 6V6 amp in the future. Found the original article quite remarkable, easy to understand and inspirational.

As I live far from the main tube audio centers/ communities one of my options when getting the parts is local builded hardware. Regarding the output transformers which specs I should ask for to a local audio transformer builder. I know it is a SET amp, with 5K/8 output transformer impedances. Max current/power output need for every channel? Any other valuable spec for the builder?

Best regards

power supply grounding

This is a first timer here, wanted to ask a question on the boosehound amp project, hope I'm asking in the right way. The schematic for the power supply on this amp show two spot that look like grounding symbols but not exactly. One is on the 6.3v filament output, and the other is on the center tap of the 550v output. What does this symbol tell me? I'm using a Hammond 270HX transformer that has a center tap on the 6.3v, I could ground it, if that is what's call for.
Here is the link to the schematic Boozhound Laboratories

In the original Boozhound 6V6 Primer Tube Amplifier article it was used a 275 volts secondary transformer to obtain about 250 V B+ in the output stage. The power supply drawing shows 175 V.

Something is wrong here, usually the transformer are specified in RMS values. I need 200 V RMS in the secondary (282 V peak) to obtain, with the chosen rectifier (5y3 before PI filter) about 250V to feed the circuit (0,9 of peak value).

Do you agree?

Thanks, best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.