• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st Post (here) : ) My first project: Boozhound Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just waiting on my choke . . .

I have everything but the choke; I'm pulling the transformers from a 6v6 RCA console amp, and I'll post some preliminary pix early next week, since I'm having trouble iD'ing some of the wires coming off the OPT's.

The Chassis is an old Ballantyne MIC / Phono Preamp that was looking for job - it's got that nice brownish Hammertone finish - very industrial : ))

Tubes (for starters) will be old WW2 Sylvania 6sn7W, 6V6GT, and Realisatic *lifetime* 5Y3.

I'll post with some shots soon !

Mark :D

Evilgenius,

I think you'll be fine with the 15 or 20 watters to start with. At medium volumes, you won't be saturating the core, and you'll get decent bass. (The 150 Hz you mentioned above is more of a distortion limit rating, not a cutoff point, esp. for low to medium volume.) You can always upgrade later and use the originals for experimenting in other amps.

I've built the El Cheapo that Eli D. and others have been working on (it's PP, not SE), and the inexpensive OPTs haven't been an issue for me at modest to almost-loud volume levels. I use a .056 uF (56nF) cap at the input that combines with the input impedance to create a hi-pass in the upper-20s Hz range. That unloads infrasonic duty for the OPTs and stresses them less. Maybe something like that would work for you as well?

--Jeff

Thanks for the responses!

I don't mind admitting that I'm a little bit scared to get going on this. I'm feeling like there's a huge learning curve, and I don't quite understand enought o make a go of it yet. Could be I'm just paranoid. Not sure if I want to attempt this project or something in kit form first. :xeye:

Most of what I'm unsure about I've read in your guide, or others. I just go all cross eyed looking at schematics, and trying to correllate them to a real wiring image. That's really it, I think, is the conversion from a line schematic to real wires. The visualization is difficult for me, for some reason. Likely because I've never done it before. heh

Count me in too!

Hey guys, count me in for this project as well.
I have been looking for something new to tackle and this looks like it would be a good "first" tube project, and with jsn's wonderful page full of design hints and tips, I think I can pull it off!.
I have been re-drawing the schematics in TinyCAD (mainly just to learn how to use it :xeye: ) and studying them and learning the in's and out's of power supply and tube amp design.
Lets keep this thread going and post back with the good, bad and ugly of it all.
Scott

appropriate speakers & editing orig. post

Hey Marcus,

Since this little guy puts out about 1.5 watts / channel, you'll want to use some pretty efficient speakers - I'll be running some big 15 inch Fisher-built Zenith speakers on open baffles in the garage, with Jensen RP-103 / 106b drivers covering the top end.

How efficient are the Proac speakers ? My guess is my big garage speakers are around 95 - 98 db in efficiency; anything this efficient or higher would be ideal (can you say full horn system? ):D

I'll also be trying these on some BIB's (see full range forum), and some mini-line arrays which will use 4 KLH 4" drivers for each speaker. These would be solely for nearfield listening . . . .

JSN - tried editing my original post, but vcannot gain access - Mod's - any ideas ? I *FINALLY* got the choke I need from mouser - and I'm shooting a wedding this weekend, so looks like I'll be diving in early next week

thanks,

Mark:cool:

Push Pull maybe ?

A good, basic Push Pull would give you probably between 8 and 16 watts per channel which would give you more headroon and/or volume. There's TONS of decent 6v6 or 6bq5 PP circuits try. Maybe a 6V6 Magnavox inspired PP Amp ?

Keep in mind too the Proacs could sound very sweet with the Boozehound, you'd just be a little volume - limited. It's that first watt that's the best anyway :cool:

The way I see it, I have dozens of pairs speakers - some built already, some still in my head. If the Boozehound doesn't sound amazing with anything I have, I'll just build something to suit it - maybe some super efficient line arrays. . . . .

speaker survey

I have listened to this amp and another similar triode-mode 6v6 on a couple of different speakers and have not yet been disappointed. I think you should get closer to 3W fwiw.

It spent a lot of time on my Bottlehead Straight-8 clones. Those are great speakers, but they do have that quirky line array effect where there is a sweet spot.

My favorite easy and cheap speakers are these:
http://boozhoundlabs.com/ff225k/

They are plenty efficient, have good bass, and the treble is much less fatiguing than most fullrange drivers. That is the sound I like - not harsh on top, with good midrange weight and clarity. I am a big fan of undergroud hip hop and these do it justice.

For a couple months, I loaned a system to a friend of mine that consisted of a 6v6 amp and a pair of Large Advent speakers withthe 10" woofer and fried egg tweeter. THey are just under 90dB, but sounded quite good with the amp. They are big reggea fans, and the 10" woofer was quite capable of pumping that fat round reggae bass. The detaiol and clarity was a little bit lacking, but the tonal balance was great.

Right now, I am listening to a 6v6 amp on a pair of "studio monitors" I built that use a Fostex FX120 and a paper cone 8" from Parts Express. The 6v6 drives the FX120 and a big Behringer amp drives the woofer. It is crossed over first order at the baffle step frequency of 380Hz. They sound great and are small. The FX120 is a really fantastic sounding speaker. I don't have these on boozhoundlabs yet.

Something I have been wanting to try is to replace the tweeter in a pair of Large Advents with an FX120 and lower the crossover frequency to the baffle step frequency. I think that would give back the clarity those speakers are missing, and keep the great tonal balance.

So hopefully that will give you guys some ideas for speakers...

jsn

EvilGenius said:
I'm going to trust you that the Magnequest RH OPT's will work with the 6V6's in your plan, or would a replacement with the 300B's (recommended on the site) yield better results, though at much higher cost? Or at the nominal ~15W power output, and all the characteristics of your planned amp, are the 6V6's just fine for a first timer?

Given the DIY nature of this hobby, it shouldn't be an issue to start with the 6V6 model (basically what you built) with either the Robin Hood OPT's or the cheaper Hammond P-t 1615 or P-T 1620 OPT's, and recycle parts for future project, right? Given that, perhaps the RH is a better investment? Do you think the RH series will provide a vastly cleaner sound from the 6V6 over the Hammond units? We're looking at about $200 vs. $80-$90 for the pairs.

I know, lot's of n00b questions...sorry about that.

Hey, haven't checked this thread in a while, but just read it all. How cool is it that jsn joined in! On the opt's, the project I'm doing specd. Hammonds also. I opted to have a couple wound, and the cost wasn't too bad (120 for the pair). Heyboer did them in about a week. Just a thought, Jay

BTW, jsn, thanks so much for your page, esp the hi-fi primer which helped me finally get over the first hump in understanding tubes! You have a great way of explaining things in plain english. Cool avatar
:wave2s:

marcus7601 said:
Just checked pricing on transformer. I need another one since we have different power over here..

Hammond 370HX is 130USD :(

Any suggestion on others?

heyboertransform@charterinternet.com

The above link is where I get mine wound. Shipping to Sweden would add some cost, but they are MORE than resonabley priced, do excellent work, and very fast. (no affiliation, just a happy customer). Talk to Alden, he will wind to your exact specs or has many popular specs on hand. I allways thought custom winding was out of my reach, but not so now!

;)

WE HAVE PROGRESS ! - see Gallery of pix

All I can is WOW . . . having my 16 yo nephew Patrick around this summer has meant ALOT of stuff is getting done. This kid is driven. Not only has he cleaned and organized my basement and garage, but after throwing him the Boozehound Hi-Fi Primer printout, and a pile of parts, he has done all the preliminary assembly on the Franken-Booze as I like to call it.

Here's a quick rundown:

Chassis: Old Ballantyne Preamp with *Patina* (ha ha) - price: FREE
Iron: Liberated from an old RCA 6V6 Console - price: $10
Tubes: NOS Sylvania 6SN7W & 6V6; NOS 5Y3 (not to mention a plethora of other 6SN7's and 6v6 to roll with) - price: about $20
Other Guts: Mouser and Tube Depot, per JSN's spec's - price : about $110

Check out the progress in this Gallery

Over the next few evenings, Pat and I will wire this baby up, and (hopefully) be getting music from it by the weekend ! So, for anyone still on the fence about this project, it is shaping up to be a breeeeeeze - so simple, even a Tube Noob and his 16 year old nephew can put it together!

ALL HAIL DIY !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.