15 mile commuting bike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
look at their "last chance" bikes..

Bianchi single speed , but may need a local builder to ad some brake bosses

also look at the Cove "Handjob" for £270. Really well built steel frames. Then get yerself a Kona Project One fork (steel). Buy whatever bike to hawk the group from and you're done, sell the "hawk'd" frame to someone who crashed their's in the local classifieds. Still unsure of your budget though.

So many great things, so little time.(buicycles, motorcycles, watches, cameras, audio, wives) ....

of course my dog gets all the attention she wants :)

hmmm, £4oo...

do you want steel or aluminium?

I 'm personally not fond of Ali, so I always look for steel:

look at Humu Humu Nuku Nuku ApuaA Deluxe 2006. spend some $$ on whatever bars you want and a better seatpost, and saddle.

I've riden one of these and they are very cool!(but a little odd due to the handle bars, internal brakes onlyAnd steel:) . Save some $$ for good rims and that's about all you can do. It rides very nicely. It has a good fork (the Kona Project 2)

or try this: Kona Smoke 2007 Hybrid Bike. Already flatbars. Worst parts here are the deraileurs, and an easy upgrade, and the saddle

don't be "afraid" of a "hybrid". Since you've asked this question , I've been looking at my unfinshed bike in the garage, an old, 1986? Gary Fischer Montage, high end steel, odd pressed in "Fisher" bottom bracket and 1-1/8" Ritchey headset. I rebuilt it several years ago for my bro, who rode it for 3 years and got hit on it. I salvaged what I could. I had had the frame powder coated a "royal" blue...Thankfully my brother wasn't hurt, but his rims/components took a beating, and the driver's insurance company bought him a new bike (Fischer Hoo-ko-hoo-eekoo).

Attachments

• fishcomprybsmall.jpg
    fishcomprybsmall.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 82
Re: hmmm, £4oo...

Nanook said:
I've been looking at my unfinshed bike in the garage, an old, 1986? Gary Fischer Montage, high end steel, odd pressed in "Fisher" bottom bracket and 1-1/8" Ritchey headset.

I think you're mistaken about the headset and possibly the date of that Fisher.

A: Gary Fisher "invented" the 1 1/4" Evolution headset (and the 73mm BB shell width and the ill-fated offroad tubular tire:dead:) So he most certainly would not have used a 1 1/8" headset, let alone a Ritchey labeled one.

B: Oversize headsets, both 1 1/4" and 1 1/8" did not appear until around 1988 IIRC.

maxro...

not looking for an arguement but...did a little more research on the old Fisher. it appears that it is a 1988 Montare SC. Originally it had been an ugly yellow colour. Apparently only used on 1988 Montare SC.Fischer specs

and Ritchey did make frames for Fisher. This frame has a Ritchey Pro Logic headset. Fisher press in 88mm bottom bracket (try to find one of those now--or even re-bearing one).

I will say that the early history of mountain bikes is pretty cloudy as to who did what for whom. Gotta remember that all these guys were/are friends (I'd love to be a fly on the wall when or if all these legends get together and have a few wooblies between them)....

I will say one bike that I'd love to own is a Breezer, any year, any model :)

Re: maxro...

Nanook said:
Ritchey did make frames for Fisher. This frame has a Ritchey Pro Logic headset. Fisher press in 88mm bottom bracket (try to find one of those now--or even re-bearing one).

I will say that the early history of mountain bikes is pretty cloudy as to who did what for whom. Gotta remember that all these guys were/are friends (I'd love to be a fly on the wall when or if all these legends get together and have a few wooblies between them)....

I think that Fisher and Ritchey had a parting of ways before that time...agreed about the fuzzy history though. Sorry, I wasn't looking for an argument, just clarification.

I will say one bike that I'd love to own is a Breezer, any year, any model :)

Well, my shop currently has a used 1991(?) blue and white Breezer in stock. I can find out the size and parts spec, if you'd like. I think it's an 18 or 19" with LX.

Oh, and if you want an 18" fillet brazed Ritchey frameset with aforementioned press-in BB, we've got that, too.

hey, I'm poor......

but please check on the $$ for the Breezer. The "Sky" was the "low model". One of the first bikes I'd ridden that did most everything "right". I ended up buying a Bridgestone MB4 (Ishiwata tubed, thumbshifted ) in green. Have the old Fisher(thumbshifted, Tange tubed) as well, a Kuwahara Tange "Infinity" tubed LX bike (with Ritchey Vantage sport wheels and thumbshifters), a Nishiki Timbuk ll/Marzocchi shocks (thumbshifted, with Tange "ultimate"? tubing , or "presige" ), an old Norco Monterey road bike and a Mielle roadbike....

see a theme developing?

Re: hmmm, £4oo...

Nanook said:
do you want steel or aluminium?

I 'm personally not fond of Ali, so I always look for steel:

or try this: Kona Smoke 2007 Hybrid Bike. Already flatbars. Worst parts here are the deraileurs, and an easy upgrade, and the saddle

Thanks.

What would you recommend for the deraileurs ? (I've been looking at the Shimano Deore LX)

Or would I need to upgrade the whole lot ? (chainset, rear casette, crank, derailers)

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/bike_reviews/documents/Ciclismo_2k5_Smoke_ITA_000.pdf

ash_dac said:
[Found out my brother has a P2 Kona fork in the garden. I've been looking at the above bike as a station hack bike 2 miles (would change fork to Kona P2). I'm a little worried about the frame though particularly the welds and that rear triangle.

Any thoughts ?

Looks like you won't be able to swap the forks, the Suntour has a 1" steerer tube, and the Kona is 1 1/8".
I'm surprised to see a current fork (even a cheap one) with a 1" steerer in this day and age. I had trouble finding a suspension fork for my old Bridgestone MB2 for that very reason. Ended up with an old Manitou SX.

Jeff

vinylkid58 said:

Looks like you won't be able to swap the forks, the Suntour has a 1" steerer tube, and the Kona is 1 1/8".
I'm surprised to see a current fork (even a cheap one) with a 1" steerer in this day and age. I had trouble finding a suspension fork for my old Bridgestone MB2 for that very reason. Ended up with an old Manitou SX.

Jeff

I wonder if the company bulk bought / produced the frames many moons ago. Seems odd to make them to 1"!

No wonder it's cheap!

ash dac...

I've searched around some British online stores and have found a bunch of bikes. If willing to spend £400, then great. But the discussion/suggestions have centred around steel, aluminium, hybrid/city/single speed/multi-speed/mtn bikes/ rigid/blah, blah, blah....

The Kona Smoke I linked to earlier is
in your budget, just requires the deraileurs upgraded (when they wear out: ) ). multigeared, good all-rounder. Any of the £400 bikes should be OK, just what do you really want?

If your bro has a P2 fork,great. Send it me:)..

So if this is a 15 mile one way commute, you will want some gearing. Evans looks like they have some great deals. Some of the best may be European brands from within the EU, or Canadian bikes (as Britian and Canada have most favoured trading status).

Maxro, were you able to get a price on the Breezer?

Where did you get this 1" information from? There is no way that that is a 1" steerer with a threadless, integrated headset on a "mountain" bike.

Ash-dac, the frame is not the weak link of that bicycle and it is certainly not an old stock frame (note the disk brake tabs). The real problem with that bike is its thread-on freeewheel (rather than cassette) rear hub. Due to the location of the drive side bearing at a distance from the end of the axle, bent and broken axles are common on this type of hub.

Don't you have any good, independent bike shops (the ones that know how to assemble a bike properly) in jolly old England? You wouldn't buy your hi-fi at a big box store, would you?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.