12VDC motor for the turntable. Power, torque, PCB questions

Hi Panos,
We haven't tried polyester thread on the Anniversary yet. Currently an Origin Live belt is being used. This belt sounded a lot better than the original neoprene belt. A different pulley will be required for the polyester thread.
If your experience in upgrading from the OL belt to the polyester is anything to go by he's in for a sonic treat.

Oh, yes. I had been using the OL belt, which was quite better than the original (stretchier) rubber belt of the Xerxes. But then, the polyester belt was a revelation in comparison to the OL belt. You've experienced the sonic upgrade with the polyester belt yourself, so I am not telling you anything new here.

It will be great to capture your friend's reaction, when he first listens to the polyester belt.

I have a Swiss ESCAP motor that looks better than the MAXON used by RADIKAL, and I have a first generation RADIKAL. Is it feasible to use the UPC1470 DC motor driver chip? UPC1470 OR AN6651 is a chip that stabilizes the speed of DC motors.
In addition, I have changed the power supply of RADIKAL to a linear voltage regulator consisting of a 120VA ring transformer and LM317 LM337. The motor and cartridge amplifier are powered by two separate channels. Combined with the URIK cartridge amplifier, it seems to sound better.

Hi Zincho,
I haven't had any experience with the ESCAP motors or the driver chip you mention. The Radikals seem to be made with a very narrow range over which they will work and will only work with the specific motors designated for them. When fitting the Radikal to my friends Pink Triangle Anniversary I had to make a new pulley to match the motor speed to the subplatter diameter to within a couple of percent. With the original Pink pulley the Radikal would not lock to speed.

The Dynamik power supply in the Radikal is a piece of junk. It is actually a design for a TV that has been repurposed. We have also experimented with a linear supply. As we are only interested in the motor control we didn't bother with the section used to power the Urik. It was only a very basic power supply that we used, also utilising LM317 and LM337 regulators. This definitely sounded better than the Dynamik. We did have some noise issues but this was due to the cheap and nasty transformer used.
We are currently working on building a much bigger and better linear supply. We are planning on using a larger toroidal transformer, hopefully O-ring, and a large bank of smoothing caps. This will be housed in a separate box away from the Radikal and turntable. This will also contain pre-regulation.

In the Radikal box itself will be a small board with the final stage of regulation.
The LM317 and LM337 are OK but not brilliant. I am going to use Sparkoslabs voltage regulators as these are much lower noise and beat the basic regs on every metric. Every time I've replaced the 317-337s with the Sparko I've heard a huge positive difference (3 different applications so far). Admittedly these were all powering preamps and phonostages. I don't know if they will have the same effect with a motor controller but in the context of the cost of this project I think they are worth the experiment.

Niffy

Reactions: 1 user
HI niffy
That's right, the original power supply of LINN uses the FSCM0765R chip solution, which is indeed widely used in televisions. The power supply of other devices in LIN seems to also use FSCM0765R, which is a very common and common power solution. Using a better voltage regulator may bring better results. It's worth trying.(y)

I used a discarded NAIM aluminum box and a ring transformer with modified winding voltage. It hasn't been finalized yet, but it will be done soon.

44b368f11513fa2da9fd29ca3363dec.jpg

8c7007df6319e03505a28d2081ac2a4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Zincho,
Nice board. Did you diy it or get it made professionally?
It looks very similar to what I used for my linear test supply, except you are using more smoothing caps and a better transformer. My final version will improve on both of these fronts.
The biggest difference is that I only need the right half of the board as I'm not going to be running a phonostage from it.

Are you running a Urik phonostage from this power supply?

I have upgraded a couple of phonostages that used LM317 and LM337. I replaced them with Sparkoslabs and the difference was huge. I would definitely recommend doing this for at least the phonostage portion of the board. I don't know how Sparkoslabs will effect the motor control part of the Radikal but I'm working towards this test. I will post once we have tried this but I have a couple of other projects on the go so it might be a while.

Hi Zincho,
Nice board. Did you diy it or get it made professionally?
It looks very similar to what I used for my linear test supply, except you are using more smoothing caps and a better transformer. My final version will improve on both of these fronts.
The biggest difference is that I only need the right half of the board as I'm not going to be running a phonostage from it.
Hello, this is something I made myself. Making these takes a lot of time. I also use this power supply to drive the URIKA cartridge amplifier. I originally planned to use NAIM's DR voltage regulator module to provide power, but I eventually gave up because it required too many connecting wires, which looked messy and time-consuming.

Hello, this is something I made myself. Making these takes a lot of time. I also use this power supply to drive the URIKA cartridge amplifier. I originally planned to use NAIM's DR voltage regulator module to provide power, but I eventually gave up because it required too many connecting wires, which looked messy and time-consuming.
Hi, possible to know 10 pin power connector PINOUTS? or I can get a power supply from you, if ok with you.

Hi Charchil,

I have measured the output voltages for the Dynamik smps that is used in the Linn Radikal.

I have designated the pins as 1-10 when looking at the Radikal from the front and counting left to right.

(1) +13V
(2) GRD
(3) -14.7V
(4) +3.3V
(5) +13V
(6) +13V
(7) +2.5V
(8) GRD
(9) GRD
(10) -14.6V

This is what I have determined that the different pins are designated for.

The Dynamik power supply is used in several different Linn products, such as their streamer, and not all pins are required to operate the Radikal. Pins (4) and (7) are not used.

Pins (1), (2) and (3) are used to power the Urik phonostage. If you are not using this phonostage then you do not need to connect these pins. The motor controller portion of the Radikal works fine without them.

Pins (5) and (6) are paralleled as are pins (8) and (9). These are paralleled to allow greater current as they are the ones that feed the motor.
Pin (10) is used for the logic circuits that control the power supplied to the motor. Pins (5) and (6) may also supply some power for this operation.

The prototype power supply that I used had pin(10) set at -13V and that worked perfectly.

My next step in this project will be to build a much higher quality linear power supply regulated to 13-0-13.

With the power supply for my Origin Live controller I found that a reasonable large transformer and a big bank of smallish capacitors worked superbly. I used a 120VA toroidal transformer and 24x 2200μf capacitors to supply the single rail for the OL. As the Radikal is dual rail I'll use a larger transformer, something in the 300-400VA range. As the positive rails will have a higher current draw I will probably use one and a half times as many caps on this rail as on the negative rail.

I'm currently working on an active crossover for the same friend as I'm building this power supply for. I want to finish that project before I dive to heavily into this one. I will of course post how it goes.

Niffy