• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 stand alone preamp output load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regarding the power supply that's not a problem. It can supply 4W, used to run 12AX7 with ECl86 and is with 6.3V. Maybe slight overkill but that's the smallest PT I have, about size of guitar amp 6V6 OT so not that big.
I didn't have much time today for proper test, but quickly tried the 6SN7. I couldn't really tell much difference, it's hard to tell running through a tone control.
But think I should somehow sort out that output load to roughly what it should be.
Right now, measuring the load from the 12AX7 output cap to the tone control, I get 570k. Connecting the output to SS amp (50K input), the 570K only drops by 20k to 550k.
Normally when 12AX7 is directly connected to say 6V6, there is a grid resistor of about 470k so the load is basically the same as the load I have on my preamp. This is what is confusing me. It's a same load so why is it wrong?

It depends on where you are measuring that load resistance. If there is a coupling cap on your output after the point you are measuring, or a cap in the input of your SS amp, you won't get a true input impedance reading. But when a signal passes through those caps it does see the load. Your ohm meter won't read the DCR through the caps. .... if they are there.

It depends on where you are measuring that load resistance. If there is a coupling cap on your output after the point you are measuring, or a cap in the input of your SS amp, you won't get a true input impedance reading

True, I forgot about the SS amp might have a cap. I'll just put a resistor load on the output and see. Other than that there are no other coupling caps in the path.

Last edited:
If there is a coupling cap on your output after the point you are measuring, or a cap in the input of your SS amp, you won't get a true input impedance reading.

I've tested it with just a resistor load and even just shortened the output. Only drops to 550k. Bellow is the Baxandal. Output is direct, no pot or cap.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
This is what the curve shows with the way I've omitted the 38k and changed 1M bass pot to 500k pot on the tone control. The knob positions are slightly off but the curve looks flatter than the original. I have no way of measuring the curve in real time but by listening to it by A/B it sounds pretty much like it looks. I'm quiet happy with the way it works as a tone control. Only the load still bothers me a little but it is 570K, about the same as if I had 6V6 connected to it so I think it should be ok, I can't see what the difference is if the load is same.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I can't add anything else to the Tone Stack to simulate it, I'll do it in real time. But I think it'll just drop level as if I turn down the volume control which is on the input. I'll try anyway and see what happens. I did a quick schema of my working circuit just to make things clear.

Last edited:
The Duncan tone stack calculator does include a source impedance. It defaults to 38k which is typical for a fully-bypassed common cathode ECC83 with 100k anode load, etc. Not sure why but @6V6dude has set it to zero. (Also not sure why but it then shows up on the graphic as 0p rather than 0k or 0R.)

Edit: Simultaneous post with Merlin. For the circuit shown in post #29, I make the source impedance to be 56k.

Last edited:
I thought you were taking about the pot. I've replaced the 1M pot anyway because it was faulty and just used 50K pot. It works the same, no difference with any load so I'll leave it there. The preamp as it is works well, I'm happy with it. When connected to tube amps, I don't hear any compromise in sound, it is basically nothing more than tube amp gain stage in stand alone box. When it comes to connecting to SS amps and the higher load, there is some drop in volume about 10% and the bass needs to be turned up about 10% to get it somewhat flat. Not something that bother me since it's use will be for tube amps anyway but I did leave a space on the chassis for couple of extra tubes in case I want to add the buffers in the future for some reason. I'll send a pic when it's done.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.