• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 stand alone preamp output load

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you having a laugh? 50k pot at the output of the tonestack!?

The pot is at the front if you didn't look at the schema. I've tested it well before I swapped the 1M for 50K. No difference I can hear what so ever, mind you it only connects to the soundcard anyway.
I've finished it today with only one change, the plate resistor to 100k.
DF96 mentioned there will be HF roll off, yes there is a little but it has a benefit to it as it filters some of the crappy harshness of MP3 format from the Net. Turning down the tone control covers too wide HF range, this seems to cover the higher band only. (Wish I could measure all this stuff!). I tried bypass caps which restored the HF (depending on value) but the sound got somewhat loose which I didn't like, probably because I'd need NFB with the cap.
Here is, it's pretty small but I made sure I've left space for 2-3 tubes in case I want to turn it in to something else in the future.
mcwhy.jpg

Last edited:
My apologies, I thought you meant the 1M pot at the output of the tonestack.

No problem, more likely me just creating confusion. This simple one tube preamp has been quiet a headache to make actually. I guess that's a price I pay for making something out of norm. No reference I can look up to for ideas and not enough knowledge to calculate the non standard stuff.

I did something similar few years ego for my home studio. 12AX7 and 12AU7 anode output. The quietest rec preamp I've ever had including commercial ones and no problem with loads either. Tech people say impedance MUST be matched, personally I've never had problems so not really sure how critical it is but if it works good....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

... people say impedance MUST be matched, personally I've never had problems so not really sure how critical it is but if it works good....

If you match (i.e. make equal) the load impedance to the source impedance you get maximum power transfer.
To transfer maximum voltage to the load, the load impedance should be high compared to the source impedance.
To transfer maximum current to the load, the load impedance should be low compared to the source impedance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.