10th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2013

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Dave,

Yes, I tried 6 different 3" including the really cheap and the mid priced Aura's. The LG's came in first and the JVC's came second IMHO. My BIL up in Prince Rupert now uses the midpriced Aura's in his. The small speaker is a spiral, not a Cornu shaped spiral.

The large *** kicking bass units are a Cornu style with the Fostex FF125WK and the full complement of planet10 treatments.

I would not make a regular spiral again as I think the bends in the Cornu horn help to damp the higher frequencies.

Cal with his Cornus at DIY FEST

I thought this pic fun for both threads-I also posted it to the cornu thread. Pretty sure the drivers are the Fostex FF125WK with Planet10 mods

CIMG1233.jpg

They had a lot of bass considering driver size, they must be really bass-ful on a wall.

I remember wondering if they would benefit from thicker front and rear baffles. I thought that the baffles were vibrating/radiating. If that is the case, the sound would be different with thicker baffles.

I can see how the 3/8"(9.5mm)"underlayment"(that's right, Cal, isn't it?) baffle material would be dense compared to its foam-core precedents.

3 amiable characters

Terry Eh O, John of the AMP and Mike-whose floor standing three way I regret not hearing(whilst packing up my gear on Sunday morn) Mike, being on the younger and stronger side, was often recruited to do physical tasks, like moving large speakers around. He was always cheerful and willing.

CIMG1216.jpg

there were way too many speakers to get a chance to hear even half of them - much less remember those I did - which were Mike's?

yes, while never as busy as Dave, that Chris guy was mostly tired from catching up on less than total of 30hrs sleep each of the prior 2 weeks finishing off prototypes and bespoke builds ( he should also find his lost respirator when spraying NC lacquer - that and Russian Standard don't mix all that well :eek:)

you all suck!

Happy all had a great time...sniff...sniff...

Mike commented on a pair of Chris' speakers were pretty startling (in a good way). Hmm....

Too bad he didn't haul his revamped Klipsch CF-3's out. From all reports a huge improvements over the stock ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.