10th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2013

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some pic's of the journey. The Pacific Northwest really has some beautiful sights. Especially as you get closer to Vancouver Island.

1. BC ferries making the journey possible
2. room for recreational sailing
3. islands along the way
4. John and Dave R
5. Dave R and Terry

Attachments

• passage.jpg
    passage.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 242
  • sailboat.jpg
    sailboat.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Islands.jpg
    Islands.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 239
  • John_Dave.jpg
    John_Dave.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Dave_Terry.jpg
    Dave_Terry.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 243
Some familiar faces
1. residents of Planet 10
2. Bob
3. Cal - upon arrival!
4. the brothers!
5. Howard
6. TerryO
7. The Winners Circle
8. A friend for Terry - Zabu

Attachments

• Zabu_Terry.jpg
    Zabu_Terry.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 124
  • winners.jpg
    winners.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Terry.jpg
    Terry.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Howard.jpg
    Howard.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Cal_Scott.jpg
    Cal_Scott.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 100
  • Cal.jpg
    Cal.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 117
  • Bob.jpg
    Bob.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Dave_Ruth.jpg
    Dave_Ruth.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 131
And of course, what it's all about!

1. We're getting close!
2. We're here!
3. New creations
4. More on the back deck, Howard's Radio Shacks with Ryan's sub -- wow what a nice combo!

Attachments

• RadioShack_Sub.jpg
    RadioShack_Sub.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 130
  • new_MTM.jpg
    new_MTM.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2,298
  • mmm_Planet10.jpg
    mmm_Planet10.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 101
  • diyFest.jpg
    diyFest.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 99
wait, there's more . . . !

1. the little cornu that could!
2. a view of the mouth flares on the edge.
3. Cal's larger Cornu
This Cornu configuration produces an amazing amount of BASS! nice job,Cal
4. A new pseudo-MTM arrangement from Dave (Planet10) and Chris, driven by John's great tube amp. One of my favorite combos for the weekend. Great job on both!
5. Closer view of John's amp (still in bread board form)
6. a beautiful new cab, and of course beautiful sound. Love the faceted look.
7. Ryan's high efficiency combo with Eminence Pro and HF ribbon

Attachments

• Ryans.jpg
    Ryans.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 101
  • new_MTM.jpg
    new_MTM.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Johns_amp.jpg
    Johns_amp.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 385
  • MTM_Johns_tubes.jpg
    MTM_Johns_tubes.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,392
  • cornu_large.jpg
    cornu_large.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 98
  • cornu_side.jpg
    cornu_side.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 84
  • cornu_small.jpg
    cornu_small.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Dave R's little two ways were a huge hit, and I don't think they have been mentioned yet. Not sure who I am loosely quoting here, but one listener summed up their performance by saying something to the effect of "a consumer could spend many thousands and not get a speaker as musical as these". And they were made on a budget-with a special purchase Vifa/JBL (parts express?) 5" midwoofer, and (help me here Dave R) a nice, but not terribly expensive little dome tweeter, all in a approximately(help again please) 5-7 liter ported box.

Thanks for the kind words, Howard -- glad others liked my little 2-ways as well. I have attached a picture from computer (not at the diyFest venue).

The midwoofs are 4.5" vifa/jbl and the tweeters are Audax TMO20J3. The vented box is 5 liters, port tuned to ~64 Hz. The crossover is series (of course!). The tube amp is single-ended, with 6550's on output. It was a kit put together by scitizen77 a couple of years ago (details over on the Vendor's Bazaar forum here on diyaudio). Really came out to be a wonderful combination. :)

Attachments

• DR1_and_tubes.jpg
    DR1_and_tubes.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 119
4. A new pseudo-MTM arrangement from Dave (Planet10) and Chris, driven by John's great tube amp. One of my favorite combos for the weekend. Great job on both!

Failed to mention . . .
The "pseudo-MTM's" are setting on top of one of Howard's creations. They are horn-loaded (terminus at bottom). What's unique is that he's got a passive radiator in the back. Go model that! The resulting sound is actually quite impressive. :cheers:

Attachments

• MTM_Johns_tubes.jpg
    MTM_Johns_tubes.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 237
Hey Thomas. Those are mine. Thanks for the compliment. They didn't sing like they do in my house. Not sure what was up. They have a lot of impedance swing, and were playing on a tube amp. Could've been part of the issue, not a good match. Could have been the outdoor setting. Who knows.

At home I really enjoy them. Very high sensitivity. My 90 watts drives them to insane levels without even a hint of compression or distortion. Very satisfying for big classical, movies, well recorded blues, etc. I use subwoofers to help the low end though.

Well Hello my Audio-Nut-Bar friends:
First I must thank Ruth and Dave for the hosting of this most prestigious event. The hospitality and patience is wonderful.
I look forward to this event for the entire year. I am already thinking about next year. I was lucky enough to win a few prizes in the raffle and maybe who knows I might even build a set of speakers to bring down next year.
I hope my having so much fun was not too out of hand for every one. It is just that when I get to see my other brother from another mother we tend to get a little silly. We did not burn any stone this year but cooking up the corn seemed to go over well once Bob and his friend gave us a few pointers. Cal is right we did gain another brother near the latter part of evening. Perhaps we can convince him to take off his shirt next year and show off his manliness.
A fantastic time
Yippee for Dave and Ruth

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.