100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

MM-3

MM-3 pcb for single channel phono preamp.

Attachments

• APEX MM-2 Phono.jpg
    APEX MM-2 Phono.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 3,173
Sorry , I'm a little late into this thread.
What is the distortion of this amp?

There is a lot I concur with. NO Miller capacitors. Crossover distortion should be virtually zero. Many people think that the input capacitor is to roll off high frequencies to avoid/minimise transient distortions. It does this when combined with a series input resistor. It has another major factor which has not been commented on widely. This is to ensure that the input transistor operates with a low base impedance at high frequencies. This improves its stability.

This architecture is the sort I recommend. I have not heard this amp, but I suspect it will sound better and cleaner than many. Which is why I'm interested in its (measured) distortion!

Thanks
John

Many people think that the input capacitor is to roll off high frequencies to avoid/minimise transient distortions. It does this when combined with a series input resistor. It has another major factor which has not been commented on widely. This is to ensure that the input transistor operates with a low base impedance at high frequencies. This improves its stability.
Some might think that, but the enlightened Members who care to read, have already found out the RF attenuating advantage and the Rs @ HF advantage.
These messages are posted, but you are right in one respect, many who should know better post "internet facts" and quite a few believe them.

It does not help when National show a schematic without the RF capacitor and without the DC blocking required to make their chipamps AC coupled.

Last edited:
Sorry , I'm a little late into this thread.
What is the distortion of this amp?

There is a lot I concur with. NO Miller capacitors. Crossover distortion should be virtually zero. Many people think that the input capacitor is to roll off high frequencies to avoid/minimise transient distortions. It does this when combined with a series input resistor. It has another major factor which has not been commented on widely. This is to ensure that the input transistor operates with a low base impedance at high frequencies. This improves its stability.

This architecture is the sort I recommend. I have not heard this amp, but I suspect it will sound better and cleaner than many. Which is why I'm interested in its (measured) distortion!

Thanks
John

Do You considering to build this amp? Latest post about sound #695.
Regards

Project will be +/-15V PSU?
I want to create a power amplifier 80 watts with a flat preamp, to the monitor speakers. I have a suggestion I have to use whatever it takes to build an amplifier. I want to use MM3 plans for a flat preamp and power use ax14. if you have a better idea for the project Mile Mr. monitor speakers that I want this plan. thanks

I want to create a power amplifier 80 watts with a flat preamp, to the monitor speakers. I have a suggestion I have to use whatever it takes to build an amplifier. I want to use MM3 plans for a flat preamp and power use ax14. if you have a better idea for the project Mile Mr. monitor speakers that I want this plan. thanks

Flat preamp is phono MM preamp with RIAA EQ?

Last edited:
apexaudio -

I don't think I will build one of these. I've already built a 100W amp, thanks.
Some things couuld be improved, I suggest. For example, probably, you could get lower distortion using conventional Darlingtons instead of Baxandall pairs. I would not use current sources sharing the same bias diodes, even with the resistor on the base (your input stage current source and VAS load).

John