100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

Hi Guys,

An update about my A class PSU. I ordered some BF245A's and they came in today. I installed them and the PSU still didn't work. With further investigation I discovered that I had installed 500R trimmers rather than 5K. I swapped out the 5k trimmers and reinstalled the BF246 jfets and it works flawlessly. Sorry for all the fuss. If anyone wants my layout for the BF246 just let me know and I'll post the files.

Blessings, Terry

Terry,
Any difference in sound?

Apex Goodness!

A class PSU fed with 20-0-20vac and set to +-18vdc into the Apex non-inverting LinearPre. That is feeding an Apex F100 which is powered by the Apex F100 PSU/Protection circuit. I'm feeding the F100 PSU with 44-0-44vac giving +-61vdc rails. The sound is absolutely stellar! This setup is definately going to find its way into a case in the near future. Highly recommended.

Blessings, Terry

Attachments

• Apex goodness.jpg
    Apex goodness.jpg
    689.9 KB · Views: 1,044
Finish second board ax14 and im having some issues. I get 45v at bias. Also 45v at output. Psu is 45+-, input grd is connceted to psu grd. Checked all components and they are in the right place. Adjusting bias resistor doesnt change either. Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Hi Evan,

I'm not sure what the target was that Mile had in mind when designing the F100 but I have been pleased with the sound. The addition of the F100 PSU/ board has made it a very usable unit. The protection seems to work very well. I know, I tripped it a couple of times with careless probing this morning. I know this is the wrong thread to discuss it.I has its own thread but I had it handy and wanted to test the LinearPre and the A class PSU.

Blessings, Terry

Finish second board ax14 and im having some issues. I get 45v at bias. Also 45v at output. Psu is 45+-, input grd is connceted to psu grd. Checked all components and they are in the right place. Adjusting bias resistor doesnt change either. Thanks for any help

Sounds like you have a solder bridge somewhere of a bad solder joint. A test I almost always perform now before starting up an amp is doing a diode test on each transistor. I try to use the trace leading to the pin rather than the leg itself. This will often reveal a bad joint of short. If that doesn't reveal the issue then I reflow all the solder joints.

Hi Evan,

I'm not sure what the target was that Mile had in mind when designing the F100 but I have been pleased with the sound. The addition of the F100 PSU/ board has made it a very usable unit. The protection seems to work very well. I know, I tripped it a couple of times with careless probing this morning. I know this is the wrong thread to discuss it.I has its own thread but I had it handy and wanted to test the LinearPre and the A class PSU.

Blessings, Terry

Nice work, F100 is mini PA amp with hi-fi sound.
Regards

Apex Goodness!

A class PSU fed with 20-0-20vac and set to +-18vdc into the Apex non-inverting LinearPre. That is feeding an Apex F100 which is powered by the Apex F100 PSU/Protection circuit. I'm feeding the F100 PSU with 44-0-44vac giving +-61vdc rails. The sound is absolutely stellar! This setup is definately going to find its way into a case in the near future. Highly recommended.

Blessings, Terry

So, what member rohin was telling is true... A-class PSU does make a difference!.